Valkyrie Posted June 2, 2009 Share Posted June 2, 2009 Check out the fabric here. Soooo cute. Lovely for baby quilts. http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=6781673.30834.s0&product=Spectrix&productid=19348_Mul1&sales=0&lastmenu= There are lots of co-ordinating fabrics too. Drums fingers and winces. I have had fabric from this site before - she's nice (but you might find the same cheaper somewhere else). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 2, 2009 Share Posted June 2, 2009 I rather like this panel she has http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=1894685.12579.s0&product=Fabri_quilt_main&productid=100136&sales=0&lastmenu= Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 3, 2009 Author Share Posted June 3, 2009 Lots of lovelies on there - I have bought the Japanese style ones before - they are gorgeous and with traces of gold. This is what I bought to make curtains in our bathroom and I can't see the one I chose for the bedroom, it was similar, but lots of camelias. http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=1894685.12579.s0&product=Tsuki&productid=TSUK_05_Cream&sales=0&lastmenu=submenu-1400.html And this is part of the main fabric I chose for a quilt: http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=1894685.12579.s0&product=Shiori&productid=Shio_01_Black&sales=0&lastmenu=submenu-1400.html Ahhh, so many pretties, but I must start getting through my stash before I think of getting more (but it doesn't hurt to look though). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 3, 2009 Share Posted June 3, 2009 What kind of quilt are you making with it. I love Japenese fabrics. I am collecting a variety of fat quaters to make a kimono. The pattern is from popular patchwork years ago. I made one but now it is getting very worn. (just an excuse ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 3, 2009 Author Share Posted June 3, 2009 Well I bought a pattern ages ago for some silly price, but I can't find any of them apart from kits or books, but the end quilt looks like this (only the deep purple floral, lilac and cobalt blue). http://www.quiltersparadiseonline.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=381967.1838.s0&product=Garden_Twist_Collection&productid=Garden_Twist-QUEEN-KIT&keywords1=garden+twist&sales=0&lastmenu= Yet another of my favourite online shops! But the pattern itself is quite easy, it's just getting organised - which I am rubbish at anyway. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 3, 2009 Share Posted June 3, 2009 Looks fun to do. Hope we will see it - when you get organised. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 3, 2009 Author Share Posted June 3, 2009 Arghh I've been backed into a corner! Better get those scissors out - at least the fabric is washed and ready to go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigmommasally Posted June 3, 2009 Share Posted June 3, 2009 There's some lovely fabrics on this site Koojie, thanks for posting it. I've not ordered from an American site before is it straightforward? Arghh I've been backed into a corner! Better get those scissors out - at least the fabric is washed and ready to go. also your comment above got me wondering - should I really be washing all fabrics before I use them, as I haven't done so far. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 3, 2009 Share Posted June 3, 2009 I asked my patchwork teacher about prewashing - a lot of it comes down to knowing your fabrics. The more 'fancy' a fabric is, the less likely it will need to be washed as it will already have been heat treated to get the designs (ie fabrics with metallic or glittery effects or batiks). Whereas a plain fabric may need prewashing as the colour could still run and spoil your finished project. I rarely prewash mine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 3, 2009 Author Share Posted June 3, 2009 When you wash the cotton it shrinks a bit - but not much. Also if you are using darker colours you can find out if the dye bleeds. You can always use an old white sock to test for colour running - reds tend to do that a lot. I wash it, iron while it is still slightly damp to get out all those crease marks and then fold the way I want it. Washing also reduces the stiffness of new fabric - I use a sheet of sandpaper (yep, Homebase, B&Q sandpaper) underneath the fabric when I draw around templates and it gives a much better grip. I haven't had any problems (touch wood) with ordering from the US. I do make sure that they cater for international shipping and that they are secure sites for paying. This is the place where I found them: http://www.quiltshops.com/cgi-server/quiltshops/shopdisplay.cgi There are an awful lot that only ship to the US and it took a long time to go through them. But most of my fabrics came from: http://www.bighornquilts.com/ and when we went to Florida I went to this shop (one of many - see children sulk) : http://www.sunshinesewing.biz/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi They were very friendly and I have ordered more since I got home (even more fabric for bathroom curtains - check out the batiks. This site is so huge - you need a picnic basket and a flask to get through all the items. He has lots of Kaffe Fasset fabrics for those who like those designs (although I am not a fan of his). And for those who like reproduction fabrics (I like some of the Civil War ones) actually, keep an eye on that - it might be winding down: http://www.shopvintageandvogue.com/ Ooooh there are so many I now have a "Favourite Quilt Shops" folder, an ordinary "Quilt Shops" folder and "Quilt Shops UK" folder. I am a very sad fabricaholic! Keep an eye on the exchange rates - I check on them - last I saw it was around 1.6 dollars to the pound, so I would estimate the cost at 1.5. Then you have to take Customs into the account - sometimes they don't charge, but quite often they do (Christmas they get fed up and if the amount is under £20/30 (not sure exactly) they don't charge) and you need to include shipping. Some clearance fabrics are a real bargain - even now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigmommasally Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 Thanks for that Snowy & Koojie. Looks like I will be surfing lots of US sites tonight. Better not look now as I won't ever get out the door to work! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 Naughty naughty Koojie! I've just discovered I adore batiks - there are one or two to choose from on that Florida site!!!!!!!!! *sits on hands and hides credit card* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 4, 2009 Author Share Posted June 4, 2009 The next addictive thing to the Omlet forums! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 mmm which comes first chocolate, fabric, forum or chooks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 mmm which comes first chocolate, fabric, forum or chooks Ooooh, decisions decisions! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 4, 2009 Author Share Posted June 4, 2009 Rats! I forgot all about the chocolate. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 Well Snowy if you like batiks the shop you want is Hannahs Room this is the link to their website and they do great bag kits. http://www.hannahsroom.co.uk/shop_categories.php/type/Fabrics Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 ****I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......**** Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 4, 2009 Author Share Posted June 4, 2009 ****I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......I must be strong and stay away from these other websites......**** Sha x I have got to add that one to my list - it isn't on there! Perhaps I should label it as "Plum's Revenge". Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 Do you want some more? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 4, 2009 Share Posted June 4, 2009 I've been browsing those batiks and I'm actually dribbling!!! Doesn't half play havoc with my keyboard! Yes yes, more more!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 4, 2009 Author Share Posted June 4, 2009 Welcome to my addiction, Snowy! Here are some more of my favourites: http://www.alwaysquiltingonline.com/ http://www.dakotacabinquilts.com/ http://www.cottage-quilts.com/ And for paper piecing patterns - this will keep you amused - it has colour changing quilt examples! Your OH will never see you again! http://www.quiltworx.com/ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 Wicked Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...