Guest Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 (edited) according to Richard Mabey, sloe bushes are supposed to be quite common in our hedgerows and woodland. We have been to the woods, the parks, the river banks, the wildlife reserves and various country lanes and laybys near us and can we find one? Can we 'eck! We've been looking for bushes with spikes on and immature sloe fruit but have seen nothing that resembles one. I'm beginning to wonder if we're not looking for the right thing. What do they look like and especially what do they look like at THIS time of year? Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp, I really want to make sloe gin fizzes xxxxxx Edited June 13, 2009 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 There are loads around - best spotted when the blossom is on them as it comes before the leaves and before most other blossom in the hedgerow. I couldn't find a photo of immature ones but here is a picture of mature berries, showing the leaves. I could take a photo of ours? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I found this super close up pic http://www.gastronomydomine.com/uploaded_images/P1010188-783939.JPG but haven't seen anything like it yet. If you could post a pic of what your, err, bush looks like at the moment I'd be very grateful Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chooklady Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I think they are most easily spotted when the blossom is out, It's the blackthorn isn't it? When the blossom is out it is just the blossom and the black wood, hence the name I guess. So you need to think back to all the places you saw white blossom and no leaves about 3 months ago. Or wait 'til September when they will be easy to spot. Is there going to be some Sloe Gin in the making, lovely. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 thanks but I can't think where they might have been as there are so many things with white blossom. If I knew what they looked like now (surely the fruit must be appearing by now) then I could make a note to go back later in the year Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 went for a walk in the woods today and found these... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2729850&l=c92c0e0f64&id=568396756 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2729851&l=426a3c599c&id=568396756 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2729852&l=3a3086d79e&id=568396756 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2729853&l=3d1c103ed1&id=568396756 are they sloes? I wasn't sure because on the same branches were what looked like rotten plums, you can see them in the photos too, they look like deflated balloons covered in white mould or something!? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 Yes they are sloes! Bushes can be quite thorny (hence the name Blackthorn) They need to ripen to dark bluey black. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I just found this pic on the net of unripe sloes and they look the same http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/3552368307_618bac221a.jpg I just hope now that "Ooops, word censored!"ody else knows about our bush!!!!!! maybe the rotten fruit on the same bush is a good sign as obviously "Ooops, word censored!"ody picked it last year Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 just found this do you think they could be wild damsons? It's the mouldy fruit that's making me think it might not be sloes because the mouldy fruits are quite big either way we're going to be able to use them for something Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 Oh yes, could be - I was wondering about the mouldy fruits as well, they did look a bit big, the sloes stay quite small. Damsons aren't thorny, so that will help with ID. That is a find - a wild damson tree! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 nope, it wasn't thorny! Cool, damson gin and damson jam! There was also a wild apple tree right next to it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 I was going to ask if the tree had thorns - you really can't miss the thorns on Blackthorn Wild damsons will be even more useful than sloes I've sorted my camera now so will take photos this morning - we have both damsons and sloes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 I think it's a bit early for them yet. MIL likes collecting them and we have loads bordering the fields around here. One year she picked a fair few, but her sloe gin concoction was (apparently) dreadful because she hadn't let them ripen enough - another couple of weeks or so would have been better. The year before that we must have timed it right - the liqueur was delish. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 Sorry Poet - spent all afternoon at the hospital with poorly SM. Don't wait for my photos....... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 what does SM mean, sorry Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 what does SM mean, sorry Sorry - SM = stepmother. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 sorry to hear she's not well Lesley, don't worry about the photos xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted June 15, 2009 Share Posted June 15, 2009 Oh yes, could be - I was wondering about the mouldy fruits as well, they did look a bit big, the sloes stay quite small. Damsons aren't thorny, so that will help with ID. That is a find - a wild damson tree! We have a lot of wild damson trees in these parts. I love them. Someone (not from these parts) recently called them Bullaces. According to the RHS a purple Bullace is a damson. I can't recall ever seeing a Sloe. Although I probably wouldn't know one if I fell over it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 They are bullace - my ancient wine making book has a recipe for Bullace Wine......Wild Damsons sounds much nicer Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 Photo of our sloes today - you cannot miss the two enormous thorns on the right! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 they look incredibly similar to wild damsons don't they! Thanks for the pic Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 17, 2009 Share Posted June 17, 2009 they look incredibly similar to wild damsons don't they! Thanks for the pic Hence my confusion Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 17, 2009 Share Posted June 17, 2009 You'll soon know as they turn black - the damsons will be edible raw Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...