MadAboutChooks

An egg every other day!

Hi There,

I have 3 hybrid chooks, (green eglu) which were all supposed to be the same age, purchased at the same time. 2 are laying more or less daily with the occasional day off. However my other one, which incidently is the one at the bottom of the pecking order frequently dosn' :?: t lay. When she does lay the egg is small, but the frequency is much less than the other 2. She has the biggest red comb and wattles of the lot of them. I have recently wormed them, so it cant be that. Apart from the lack of eggs she seems happy and healthy. Is this normal? :?:

How strange, if she is a hybrid she should be an egg machine however some hybrids are more sucessful than others for example one bred from pure breeds who are already poor layers is unlikely to be a good one

In sayng that the Sussex is usually a good layer so should produce good layers

Sometimes it takes a while for the laying to settle down and become regular

Sometimes however you can just get one who doesnt lay as much as the others :(

I think they do vary quite a bit. I have 3 chooks 2 hybrids and a pure breed light sussex, they are 2.5 years old and probably all lay about 5 eggs a week at this time of year. My light sussex is the best at the moment her eggs are large and good quality and she lays most days. Last year she managed 2 eggs in one day in June :shock:

I had a white star who was an egg machine the longest break she had without laying was the week before she died, she wore out. I would rather have slightly less eggs and happy chooks rather than these over bred hybrids, it seems unkind to breed them to the point where their egg equipment wears out before they do.