ribbons021185

Sign the Petition

Only just over fifteen thousand people have signed the RSPCA petition to improve welfare standards for broiler birds used in chicken products.

Now, the petition is only asking for 'higher standards of welfare', saying nothing about free ranging or organic birds, but surely this is a start.

Personally i choose to buy organic free range chicken, but i know most people in the uk do not.

Therefore i think signing the petition can only be a good thing. Any pressure to improve standards for these poor animals will help.

this is the link if you agree!

http://chickens.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCACampaigns/Broilers/BroilersHomepage&articleid=1077813454435

:shock: Errr .. just thinking about free-range and stuff (so called claims in my book) .. and interestingly enough .. on the weather the other day, they were talking about the droughts in France .. and the poor corn fed chooks .. destined for the UK free-range market. The UK is STILL awful in terms of Home - Produce and organic farming .. all the corn fed chooks/free range in the chill in the supermarkets over here, are still largely importerd from over there :!::evil: . Also as LIVE stock ... had a nice channel crossing recently ..... :?::roll: .

Sorry ... I do support this, and will sign .. its just the label will only tell what it wants, and if you want BSE assured free meat in this country ... still ask your butcher where he did get the meat .... British fine. EU .... still imported with spinal cord etc ...... what Blair will not admit to ... :x .

Anyway ... free pastures/gardens .. for all chooks and their farmyard friends. :P8)

I've had a delivery of chicken from Sheep Drove Organic Farm today. Although all the chicken I have been getting from a butcher locally is free range, I thought I would like to try Sheep Drove because they slaughter at a special facility on the farm. This removes transport stress and I reckon the slaughtering on a small scale organic concern is going to be done very well. I do have some reservations about how well the normal mass slaughtering of poultry is done. Anyway - the meat looks great and I'll let you know about the taste etc after Sunday. I'm hopeful for a great taste because the whole chickens have nice flat breasts like our hens rather than the artificially pumped up breasts of normal fast growing broilers. I have to say that even my local free range chickens are obviously a fast growing breed from their breasts.

Did anyone else see the Dispatches programme yesterday?

If you want to read about Sheep Drove - and if they can make a profit from organic birds slaughtered at 12 instead of 6 weeks why are millions of broilers being tortured? :twisted::twisted: - this is the link

http://www.sheepdrove.com/article.asp?art_id=38