Nicola H

Green fly

I have grown some chillis in the conservatory and they are doing really well they have lots of flowers and the plants look nice and strong I have just one problem they are covered in green fly and I am not sure how to get rid of them or if they will damage the plants if I just leave them......I have tried spraying them with dilute fairy liquid but it didn't shift them.

Has anybody got any ideas......... :?:

I tried it less dilute Sheila about 2 weeks ago and nearly killed the poor plants it got rid of most of the green fly and unfortunatly most of the leaves fell off not sure how but the poor plants recovered and are doing really well just can't get rid of the little beasties..........I even diluted some of the chooks louse powder and sprayed it on the plants that didn't work either................. :lol:

I've a very prolific chilli and a not quite so capable pepper in my kitchen (actually, they've been banised to the garden) and they're absulutely riddled with greenfly. I've tried everything, even insecticide safe for eaten veg, and yesterday, took them outside and washed them, leaf by leaf, with very soapy water and two sponges. I'm going on holiday at the weekend for two weeks, and I bet even if the plants don't survive under the pear tree, the bloomin' greenfly will!

Well Sheila's tip worked Emily and I went into the field to pick blackberries and found 2 ladybirds we put them on the chilli plants and I swear the ladybirds have doubled in size they are so busy munching greenfly, lets hope they keep the plants bug free...........The chillis are doing really well the only trouble is I can't remember which variety they are......And I am going to have so many I will need a recipe for pickling them..... :lol::lol:

Hi Nicola,

Good news about the greenfly.

Just a quick question for you.

If you'd have been unable to get rid of the greenfly on your chilli's, and the greenfly were still there when they were ready for eating, would it have meant the chillies were inedible?