Old Speckled Hen

What is your dream trip?

I think quite a few Omleteers would like to see the Northern Lights. Maybe the Hurtigruten people could organise a trip with special rates for us! My diary is clear for the winter 2010/2011 season!

So many good ideas on here! Reykjavik and around and about! Oh yes! Sigh. So many places so little time!

I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally want to see them too, but 2011 is much better for me (as thats when I'll be the big four oh) :D I'm looking at Finland as someone on here suggested.

Another dream trip would be an idylic beach somewhere, with no one apart from myself and my family.

New Zealand is another one.

And finally, a gorgeous cottage by the sea, in either Cornwall or West coast of Scotland, with lots of rooms for friends and family. BBQ's on the beach, blue skys, lapping waves . . . . .

Don't want much really :lol:

On 7/1/2009 at 11:45 PM, redhotchick said:

My current dream trip is on a Hurtigruten along the coast of Norway in the winter. I want to start going North just before the Arctic Circle, (Bodo?) Spend time stopping off and seeing places as we go along. Hopefully see the Northern Lights and take a trip on a Husky Sledge then come back all the way to Bergen.

Japan appeals to me too, at cherry blossom time.

I've been very lucky and I've visited South East Asia quite a bit, plus lived in the Caribbean.

For a relaxing Beach Holiday I think I'd like to try the Maldives or Madagascar.

I've dug out this post from 11 years ago because, finally, we have booked our Hurtigruten trip! We are doing the classic round trip Bergen - Kirkenes - Bergen.  

I am excited and apprehensive at the same time. Part of my apprehension is that it is nearly 12 months away, and who knows what will happen in that time! Another part of my apprehension is the lack of daylight and the freezing temperatures! x x

• Like 1

Sounds wonderful! Photos required in due course. Well done you for 'going for it'.........fab! Thermal underwear is great 😎

Personally I'd love to do a walk.........probably one of the more obscure European pilgrimage routes but not because I am religiously inclined but from a historic point of view. I'd LOVE to literally walk in the footsteps of thousands of people from the middle ages (as opposed to middle aged people of which I am one!)

6 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Sounds wonderful! Photos required in due course. Well done you for 'going for it'.........fab! Thermal underwear is great 😎

Personally I'd love to do a walk.........probably one of the more obscure European pilgrimage routes but not because I am religiously inclined but from a historic point of view. I'd LOVE to literally walk in the footsteps of thousands of people from the middle ages (as opposed to middle aged people of which I am one!)

Do you walk regularly in the UK anyway? I'd like to do the Penine Way but I'm fairly inactive at the moment, I'd need to get myself fitter. I am firmly in the middle aged category. 

The only pilgrimage type walk I have heard of is the Camino de Santiago. 

LOVE walking and seriously keen on doing a long one but currenlty waiting for a hip replacement, hopefully Tuesday 11th, but really want to get back into trecking again asap! I used to walk 2.5 miles round the village perimeter in 31.30mins but recently it takes me that to get to the village shop for the paper ......

There are a number of more obscure 'pilgrimage' walks in Europe or even UK (London to Canterbury) which are worth looking at.