poachedegg Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 Read This in our local paper today. They are asking for tips to be emailed to them......so if anybody can oblige. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 I've no suggestions, but hope that my light sussex chicks can wait 6 months before they start to crow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 You can't keep them quiet but you can ( almost) control how early they crow. Full crop the night before, and the eglu and run as black as possible to extend the night! It's often the early morning crow that irritates people the most. Mind you, it helps to have nice neigbours. Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 Only a couple of times a day and first thing? I have my doubts about that claim. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kit Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 Saw the article in the paper...hope he finds a solution. Kit Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 That'll be the start. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pinkmagic Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 I can assure you there is absolutely no sure fire way to stop a cock crowing and as for saying its just a couple of times a day, I doubt it! We had one and he crowed relentlessly all day, we tried everything, including putting him in a box with a mesh lid slightly shorter than him to prevent him stretching his neck to crow but he still crowed and had to go! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted July 2, 2009 Author Share Posted July 2, 2009 To be honest I don't know how they expect to keep a cockerel in a built up area - surely he must realise it isn't acceptable? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted July 3, 2009 Share Posted July 3, 2009 I had a friend around for lunch this week- I haven't seen her in about 18 months as our children now go to different schools. Any how she lives about 1/2 mile away & I found out her neighbour has a cockeral- I knew he has chickens but I didn't know he had a boy. She said she likes to hear the crowing, & compared to a dog barking it's not an annoying noise, in her opinion. I wish she lived next door to me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 3, 2009 Share Posted July 3, 2009 To be honest I don't know how they expect to keep a cockerel in a built up area - surely he must realise it isn't acceptable? I'm inclined to agree, and moreover I see he was a replacement for a previous one. As we all know, you don't need a cockerel to get eggs! Maybe someone should tell him! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...