Tink

"cooing" in the nesting box....advice please...

Hello everyone

Sorry, I know I have only had them 4 days but need advice already :oops:

The Light Sussex is 18 weeks old. For the last 2 days she has been sat in the nesting box making a cooing noise. Is that normal behaviour.....from what I have read I would have thought that was 'going broody' but she is very young and hasnt laid as yet.... Any advice please???

no, her comb is very pale...cant really say I have seen her squatting either, she is a bit nervous at the moment so mostly tries to get out of peoples way when she is out of the nesting box in the run! The warren squats every time you go near her and her comb is a lot redder but she is about 4 weeks older...

Have you felt underneath her? It is just possible that one of the others has laid and she is sitting on it! The cooing (usuallly accompanied by fluffing up the hackles) does sound a bit broody-ish. I would encourage her to get off the nest sometimes, rather than let her sit there all the time.

No, I've just checked and there is nothing underneath her! Ive been trying to make her go outside and she just keeps returning as soon as I have gone. Also, I have just noticed in the last 5 mins that her poo is almost water - completly different from the other 2.