lyd119 Posted July 14, 2009 Share Posted July 14, 2009 Hi all, just wondering if anyone had bought some hens at Henley poultry market. If you have, how much can I expect to pay for four POL hybrids, 2x light sussex, 1x speckled (of some sort), 1x bluebelle. thanks, Lydia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted July 14, 2009 Share Posted July 14, 2009 Is that Henley-in-Arden? I went there to have a look at the chickens and they had a grand total of a pigeon and a rabbit There were some eggs there but DEFRA shut it for some reason or other. We went back home and I searched online and discovered Cotswold Chickens where we went and bought 4 chickens Where abouts do you live? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lyd119 Posted July 14, 2009 Author Share Posted July 14, 2009 we live in Birmingham but my dad who is an ex-farmer will be taking us there to advise us on which hens look healthy etc. I'm getting so excited, only a few weeks to go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted July 14, 2009 Share Posted July 14, 2009 You're not far from me then . You could try Ash End Farm. They have Light Sussex, Speckledy's but no Bluebelles. They do have lots of rare/pure breeds though . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lyd119 Posted July 14, 2009 Author Share Posted July 14, 2009 that looks nice, I think we'll go to the market anyway just in case we find a hen we feel sorry for and know we have to have and will then look further into the ash end place and cotswolds chickens. thanks for advice. Lydia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted July 14, 2009 Share Posted July 14, 2009 theres also here got mine from them http://www.oakmeadowfarm.co.uk/ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 14, 2009 Share Posted July 14, 2009 Poultry at non specialist sales go for low prices, I wouldnt expect to pay much more than £7-10 for a hybrid and £12-15 for something like a Sussex The birds you buy might look healthy but others in the same sale may not so do be careful and never buy anything you feel sorry for (although I did but I am not a good example!) Some birds are imported for auctions and have covered many mile before they arrive there, others are bought at one auction and sold at another soon after so they can be very run down Most auction houses hold better quality auctions less often (such as Salisbury) and even better some hold graded auctions which are speciallist (a few times a year) and thats where the really good stock is to be found Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lyd119 Posted July 15, 2009 Author Share Posted July 15, 2009 thanks for all your advice,it was much appreciated!!! will have to about what we're going to do. Lydia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted July 15, 2009 Share Posted July 15, 2009 Is that Henley-in-Arden I briefly got excited by the topic title until I realised you weren't talking about Henley-on-Thames Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
skye Posted July 15, 2009 Share Posted July 15, 2009 Me too! I already had a day out planned! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 16, 2009 Share Posted July 16, 2009 Is that Henley-in-Arden? Crikey,I nearly had a heart attack then - thought it was MY Henley & I had missed it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...