Clairbear

Carrot Peelings & Toast?

I've just fed my chooks some carrot peelings and they seem to like them. Now I'm having panic attacks about whether they are ok to give them? I can't find anything about them!

Also a piece of toast has fallen off my birdtable onto the floor and one of my girls is merrily pecking this. Should I remove it or is it ok?

Thanks xx

The carrot peelings are ok.....my girls won`t touch them mind :roll:

I think large amounts of toast...like bread could bung up her crop so I would personally remove it. :D

Although I do give each of my girls an inch square of marmite on toast occasionally.....three love it but Fizz HATES IT! :lol:

The carrot peelings are ok.....my girls won`t touch them mind :roll:

I think large amounts of toast...like bread could bung up her crop so I would personally remove it. :D

Although I do give each of my girls an inch square of marmite on toast occasionally.....three love it but Fizz HATES IT! :lol:

You either love it or hate it!!! :lol:

Anything that swells up in water could lead to crop blockage so it's best to avoid large amounts of dry bread, for example. If it's soaked in water it's ok, but personally I don't feed it because there are better things they could be eating, i.e. all my veg s"Ooops, word censored!"s! Bread will fill them up but doesn't have many other benefits. Carrot peelings are fine though - the only veg that you shouldn't give them are raw potatoes or potato peelings (cooked is ok) and avocado.

When my first Omlet girls were delivered I was advised to give them a slice of toast and marmite. I think toast is less problematic than uncooked bread, although I'm not sure why.

mine have been regularly having my kids leftover crusts from their toast in the morning... it has nuttella on and they go crazy for it! should i stop the kids doing this? ( i won't give them untoasted bread)

the kids are not allowed to give any s"Ooops, word censored!"s to the chicks unless they check with me first so i know they haven't had any.

my girls also love it if i hang an apple up for them. my kids make them extra tasty by pushing seeds and nuts into them.