moomperu Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 I know this has probably been asked loads of times before, so please forgive me for repeating. How many bantams can be housed comfortably in a mark 2 eglu with a standard run? They would get a couple of hours free ranging every day and lots on the weekends. Thanks in advance, Marjorie Queenie Agatha - ready for bantams galore! Monty & Heathcliffe the cats Billy the lovely old dog Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 I think you could reasonably have 5 in there.....although there might be a bit of a queue for the nest box. The normal recommendation is 1 per 4 hens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted July 25, 2009 Share Posted July 25, 2009 5 sounds like a good number, if they're anything like mine used to be, there won't be any major problems with a nestbox queue! Don't tell dad but once these chicks are integrated with the big chooks we'll have a spare eglu and I have my eye on some more Pekins Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Scramble Posted July 26, 2009 Share Posted July 26, 2009 I only wanted 2 bantams and we have a converter and they get a couple of hours free-ranging, we could add more but I think 2 suit our set up I would go with 4 personally Then you have 2 sets of 2 so one is never left by itself, which is what stopped me getting 3. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted July 26, 2009 Share Posted July 26, 2009 We found that 3 bantams in an eglu with no extension and no free ranging did not work. It's the size of the run that's the issue, not the size of the eglu itself. If I were to keep 3 primarily in an eglu it would have to be with an extension. If you can free range some of the time at least, you can have more in there. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...