Egluntyne

Feathers

Have just noticed today that Peckadilly, who was moulting and looked very bedraggled, has now got a magnificent ruff of ginger feathers where last week she had a ring of quills.

She looks lovely again.

She is an absolute madam though. She's not called Peckadilly for nothing, she was having a right go at Dixie Chick this morning.

The water pistol had to come out I'm afraid.

Have just noticed today that Peckadilly, who was moulting and looked very bedraggled, has now got a magnificent ruff of ginger feathers where last week she had a ring of quills.

She looks lovely again.

She is an absolute madam though. She's not called Peckadilly for nothing, she was having a right go at Dixie Chick this morning.

The water pistol had to come out I'm afraid.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

One of my Bluebelles is the same - up until last week she had a baldy, spikey patch on her back, which has transformed into a lovely patch of new feathers. Sadly they are a TOTALLY different shade of grey from the rest of her plummage! :roll:

My grey araucana/poland cross is the same - I hadn't appreciated how much she'd faded and got mucky until the new feathers started coming through.

Clare, you have an Araucana/Poland cross? Can I be nosy and ask where got her from and ask whether she is kept with your other hens?

In the summer I bought 2 Araucanas (1 lavender and 1 buff) and my son fell in love with a lovely little Poland which we also bought. Sadly the Poland died and a couple of weeks ago a fox chewed through the wire around the hen house and took the lavender araucana. Having reinforced the wire, in the Spring I hope to get another araucana as I would love a blue egg layer. I have also said to the boys that they can have a Poland each and this time I thought I would keep the Polands in a separate eglu and run as my other girls are so much bigger and I wouldn't want them to get bullied. Now, a Poland/Araucana cross may well be the answer...!

Dolly is lovely Linda, and there are a couple of pictures of her in my album (see link in my signature). I got her from my lovely chicken lady, Pearl, who has now retired. Dolly has a grey and white topknot and dark grey feathers, she is delightfully dotty (not helped because she can't see where she's going). She is very gentle despite beign bigger than the others, and lays delicious blue eggs.

If you're looking for one, try posting on the practical poultry forum and also the pekinbantams.com forum - you might just find one.