Phosphorus Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 I am pretty hopeful she/he is a girl. Any thoughts from those in the know - she is 12 weeks old and a few days. This is Lily (or Les?) with gold brahma in the background : Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 From the last picture I'd guess Lily Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 I have no idea - but it's very cute. Hope it's a girl Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 Lily Both of my Lav Aras turned out to be girls and they looked just the same, although perhaps slightly muddier Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 I love the quizzical way she is looking at her playmate in the first picture. She looks exactly like my friends araucana hen, so I'm guessing girl. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phosphorus Posted August 7, 2009 Author Share Posted August 7, 2009 Thanks folks. So hoping you are all right - my gut instinct is that she is a girl, but I know that with aras the boys can make themselves known right at the last minute Will keep fingers crossed - no crowing so far and her brother was crowing and developing a comb by 7 weeks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phosphorus Posted August 7, 2009 Author Share Posted August 7, 2009 I love the quizzical way she is looking at her playmate in the first picture. She looks exactly like my friends araucana hen, so I'm guessing girl. It was a very hot day and the poor brahmas were roasting - I think she was looking at them wondering what all the fuss was about, poor brahmas spent most of the day gasping Wouldn't want to be a hen with all those feathers in 31 degree heat! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sara-W Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 Definitely a girl! I have three araucana x chicks that are 12 weeks old 2 girls and a boy, my girls have no combs like yours and my boy has an obvious comb and has started crowing already!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
likeabalalaika Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 I would say girl too. I bet you're looking forward to some blue eggs. Beautiful brahma you've got too. People who say that chickens have blank, expressionless faces obviously haven't kept chickens. Look at her face! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 Having seen a group of Araucanas at Temple Newsam with the Yorkshire Omleteers today......she is definitely a girl. Will upload a pic later. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 I saw the same araucanas at Temple Newsam and then came home to have a good look at my 6 week old araucanas: you've got a girl there I've got a girl and a boy : big comb difference and quite a difference in behaviour already. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...