PeggySue1 Posted August 11, 2009 Share Posted August 11, 2009 Hi all, just a quick question (for a change), I have seen on the forum that chooks like sweetcorn, on the cob and from tins, but, would I cook the corn first, or just strip it off the cob, and is there anything to be done with the tinned variety? What about frozen corn? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
legend21 Posted August 11, 2009 Share Posted August 11, 2009 if its tinned make sure its not in sugar and just in water, I put my frozed corn on the cob in the microwave for a short time and then they go nuts for it, mine dont like it frozen but other on the forum say their girls love it. hope that helps Jackie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WarrensWorld Posted August 11, 2009 Share Posted August 11, 2009 Frozen Sweetcorn, just let it thaw out or not. Nearly as good as GRAPES, our chooks would follow a grape or sweetcorn kernal, over a cliff...... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 I give mine frozen in the summer to help cool them down, along with melon straight from the fridge... The fresh corn on the cob = just give it to them!!! No need to cook, if you've the mean I'd hang it up as it last long as is sooooooooooooooooooo funny to watch them pecking at a moving object!!! It keeps them busy for ages Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 I give mine frozen in the summer to help cool them down, along with melon straight from the fridge... The fresh corn on the cob = just give it to them!!! No need to cook, if you've the mean I'd hang it up as it last long as is sooooooooooooooooooo funny to watch them pecking at a moving object!!! It keeps them busy for ages Snap - thats what we do! Hang a frozen cob from the bird table - keeps them (and us!) amused for hours! Much better they are doing that then digging up the garden!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KevP Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 My girls are addicted I'm sure, we serve thawed out frozen corn from a bag, they adore it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 Corn on the cob, uncooked, is very much appreciated and gives them something to do. Tinned or defrosted frozen sweetcorn also fine, no need to heat/cook. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Poultry in Motion Posted August 13, 2009 Share Posted August 13, 2009 Ours go mad for it on the cob - it gets stripped in about 30 seconds - pretty impressive! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocolateeclaire Posted August 13, 2009 Share Posted August 13, 2009 I have obviously been too kind to mine by cooking it first!!! Claire Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Margaret Posted August 13, 2009 Share Posted August 13, 2009 = WIR Lavender Mabel Marjorie Me too, I even steam there asparagus Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
teri Posted August 13, 2009 Share Posted August 13, 2009 this corn on the cob was a left over from dinner so it was cooked. as you can see all seven chicks and mum appear to quite like it....it was stripped bare in minutes!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...