Sara_H Posted August 11, 2009 Share Posted August 11, 2009 Hi! I have yet another question! I got three ducks a few days ago (One one year old Indian Runner and two 12 week old Aylesbury Magpie X) and I have been having real trouble getting them to go to bed at night. They just dont seem to want to go. I have been trying the 'catching them and then putting them in the house one by one' method as herding them on my own is proving tricky! I had heard ducks were tricky to put away at night but I wondered if anyone had any useful tips or words of wisdom on what I could try? They are still getting used th their surroundings and Im aware that they get quite stressed when I try to pick them up. Is this just something I need to persevere with or am I missing a trick? Thanks again x Indiana Jones Lavender & Dyllis Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 I think you can gently herd them at night and they will gradually learn - we leave ours as they are protected by electric fence, they quite often stay out all night and seem happy with that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 Lesley is right herding and you could try to get them use to a pot of food being shaken and put a few pellets to encourage them in. Once its dark you stand no chance! Ducks needed more commitment for putting them to bed unless as lesley has given them protection ie electric fence or you have a huge safeish pond to stop fox. I can honestly say I miss my domestic ducks but they were restrictive and more of a tie than my horses or dog as pets go. I was constantly tied to being at home before it got dark, especially in the winter time. I think my chickens that I knew nothing about until I got my etc are a complete doddle, & great eggs too, they put themselves to bed! Ducks are cute though! indie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajayb Posted August 26, 2009 Share Posted August 26, 2009 Hi, We got 3 Khaki Campbells about 6 weeks ago and noticed the huge difference at bedtime between them and our chooks who have always put themselves to bed in their Cube. Although we have a biggish pond, we have a lot of fox activity so have to lock them up safely in their ark at night. We have had a few frustrating evenings where it took up to half an hour to persuade them in so now we do it about half an hour before it's getting dark (currently 8.30pm here in Scotland) and we use a garden cane as an 'arm extension' to gently herd them in. We don't have to actually touch them with the cane, just use it as a directional aid! So far, this is working well for us - they're definitely not keen on being picked up and manhandled to bed! Hope that helps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miller30 Posted August 26, 2009 Share Posted August 26, 2009 Hi i also have used a garden cane to herd mine in at night just stay calm and slow around them and never chase or they will never go in a couple of years on and i dont even need my cane now i just turn the light on in their house and say bedtime and they all no exactly what order to go in and what pen they go in everyone just thinks its funny as they think ducks are stupid but they are creatures of habit and will learn where their house is. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted August 26, 2009 Share Posted August 26, 2009 I had ducks first an now cant believe what a doddle chickens are! Putting themselves to bed etc. I did use to find if it got slightly dark or dim it was too late mine would spend the night on the pond and I stood no chance getting them in. Food was the key I did use to put a tray of pellets in the house and mine did have water at night(although I am sure this is completely uneccessary! Good luck indie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rachel2390 Posted August 27, 2009 Share Posted August 27, 2009 Hi!I have yet another question! I got three ducks a few days ago (One one year old Indian Runner and two 12 week old Aylesbury Magpie X) and I have been having real trouble getting them to go to bed at night. They just dont seem to want to go. I have been trying the 'catching them and then putting them in the house one by one' method as herding them on my own is proving tricky! I had heard ducks were tricky to put away at night but I wondered if anyone had any useful tips or words of wisdom on what I could try? They are still getting used th their surroundings and Im aware that they get quite stressed when I try to pick them up. Is this just something I need to persevere with or am I missing a trick? Thanks again x Indiana Jones Lavender & Dyllis Hi Sara, My 2 Aylesburys are 30 weeks old this week and I have just had my first 2 eggs today!! I bought an Ark style house for them when I first got them but as I am by myself I was having real problems herding them in there in the evening and as you have said it is quite stressful for them as well as you!! Fortunately the garden is enclosed by quite high fencing and to date (last 14 weeks) I have left them out and they seem to spend most of the night in the pond!! They occasionally go in the Ark but do not take shelter in there and seem more contented to either sit under the bushes or dig holes and drink all the muddy water thanks to all the rain we have been having!! I think it would depend on how secure they are. I know mine love sweetcorn and I could probably put a small bowl in the Ark and sit and wait for them both to go in and close the door but they seem happy and contented as they are and it is not always practical or possible to do this so I have taken the chance on leaving them out...my biggest problem is trying to deal with the influx of rats!! But thanks to advice by other members on the forum it is nowhere near as bad as it was!! Regards, Rachel Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...