Lesley

Bees again!!!!!

We will be collecting a nuc from the local apiary on Thursday evening!!! :dance::dance:

Then we have the hard work of building them up and getting them through the winter........we can't wait!

We may also still be in the running for bees from the person who suffered the severe anaphylactic reaction a couple of weeks ago. She's still very poorly, what a horrible situation to be in :(

We collected our bees this evening :D

There were three nucs left and three people to take them......we blocked up the door, put the straps around the brood box with lid and drove them home. We've unblocked the door and will have a proper look tomorrow or Saturday, depending on the weather.

We were allocated the one with a super on as there were two of us to carry it - turned out to be the only one with wasps hanging around the door :? - something we could definitely do without, Hopefully, we left them all behind.

We transferred the bees into our own hive on Saturday - a bit scary, we were worried about losing the queen :shock:

We just moved the frames as carefully and quickly as we could and added more feed. We've been watching them over the weekend and they are taking pollen in :dance: Fingers crossed that all is well.

It was a bit more than a nuc as well - lots of bees, so hopefully they will build up enough to get through the winter. We're trying to decide whether to put another deep box on.

We transferred the bees into our own hive on Saturday - a bit scary, we were worried about losing the queen :shock:

We just moved the frames as carefully and quickly as we could and added more feed. We've been watching them over the weekend and they are taking pollen in :dance: Fingers crossed that all is well.

It was a bit more than a nuc as well - lots of bees, so hopefully they will build up enough to get through the winter. We're trying to decide whether to put another deep box on.

I’d not add more boxes at this time of the year unless all the frames in your existing box are drawn out. Otherwise the bees will extend upwards leaving a large space of undrawn comb in both boxes which is not where you want to be going into winter.

Good luck

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. They have drawn out most of the frames, that was what was worrying us. We weren't expecting so many bees.

We're using fondant at the moment as I'm just waiting for a better feeder to be delivered. The one we had was only small and means opening the top of the hive too often. After losing our bees earlier this season we are a bit wary of anything which will upset the new bees so thought fondant would be OK for a couple of days. I would usually use syrup at this time of year.

Do you think we would be best using the small syrup feeder until the new one arrives?(the feeder is one we were given - I didn't choose it :) )

Thanks for the reply Peter. They have drawn out most of the frames, that was what was worrying us. We weren't expecting so many bees.

I have emailed the apiary manager but he's not as computer literate as the two men I usually email and he hasn't replied so I'll email them today. We collected from one of the other men - not the apiary manager and he didn't know what was in any of the three 'nucs' he was handing out.

We're using fondant at the moment as I'm just waiting for a better feeder to be delivered. The one we had was only small and means opening the top of the hive too often. After losing our bees earlier this season we are a bit wary of anything which will upset the new bees so thought fondant would be OK for a couple of days. I would usually use syrup at this time of year.

Do you think we would be best using the small syrup feeder until the new one arrives?(the feeder is one we were given - I didn't choose it :) )

I doubt they will do much with the fondant, they might bring it down to store in comb, but fondant won't stimulate them into drawing out your foundation. I'd put the contact feeder back on. An easy rapid feeder can cheaply be made by placing a crown board above the queen excluder then an empty super. Put two small bits of wood as spacers on top of the crownboard and on top of those place a washing up bowl with an old tea towel placed up and over the rim from the crown board for the bees to better gain access and loosely fill the bowl with straw, then fill with syrup. The bees will empty a washing up bowl in a couple of days with the straw helping them to climb out rather than drowning in the syrup. Of course you also need to put a roof etc on to prevent robbing and make sure you don't spill syrup near the hive for the same reason; dribbling a little (careful if you have mesh floors) down the tea towel and through the hole in the crown board will help the bees to initially find the syrup.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Cambridge UK

That is useful, Peter - thanks for that info. I've got a small feeder, probably similar to yours Lesley (mine came with the 'starter kit' that I bought). It only holds about 2 litres of syrup, which they are getting through really rapidly. I may try the washing-up bowl technique to avoid having to refill the feeder every couple of days.

The washing up bowl method is great for quickly delivering winter stores, where you want the maximum comb fill you can get as quickly as possible (less manipulations). However, do keep your contact feeders as these can still be useful for spring simulative feeds, where you don't want to fill the comb that the queen wants to be laying into, rather you just want to imitate a nectar flow to get her laying more.