Sal119

Advice on building a run

My OH is thinking of building a walk in enclosure for our chicks (we currently have two but want to add to the collection!). Our Eglu is currently sitting on bark chippings which are enclosed in a wooden frame which sits on a hard grassy area, so we were going to use that as the base as it's a decent size. Have looked at some great pictures of ones on here, but can anyone give any advice/suggestions as to best stuff to use etc to make sure it's secure and a happy home for the chicks! Any advice greatly appreciated. Whilst there are only 2 chicks we will still use the Eglu as the house, but may upgrade to a Cube ....

As you will have seen, some elect to build their own runs to their own designs, others know exactly what they want, but get someone else to design and build it. Only you will know which way is best for you, based on your construction abilities and/or finances.

I brought mine in kit form, at the size and shape I wanted. I then set about making a slab base and putting all the pre-prepared panels together to make the run. You might have seen pictures in the (very long!) threads on this forum, but if not, see here -> ** here ** :D .

Like you, we started with an Eglu and 2 chickens. Now we have a flock of 9.

Not cheap this chicken keeping lark :lol:.

Andrew

Wow! Thanks Andrew. Just had a look at your pics. I will show my OH this and hope he loves it too! :D It looks great. Can I ask what it is you've got on top of the slabs for them to scratch about in, and how deep? This chicken keeping is addictive, I can see us with about 10 by next year! :lol:

Wow! Thanks Andrew. Can I ask what it is you've got on top of the slabs for them to scratch about in, and how deep?
We have Aubiose on the floor, with bark chippings by the door (prevents the shreds of Aubiose getting trodden into the garden by wet shoes). In case you've not heard of it before, Aubiose is horse bedding. Others use products like hemcore or Easibed. One bale (about £9) is enough to cover the run floor to a depth of 2" or 3", and lasts for about 3 to 5 months (depending on how good you are about poo-picking!).

Andrew

Just wondering ......... my two love scratching about the bark chippings and picking up worms and stuff from the ground as our chippings are a few inches deep on top of some very hard ground. Are they a bit restricted on slabs? Reason for asking is during the winter they probably won't be free ranging much when we're not out in the garden as we have a fox lurking about.

Some people have put slabs around the outside of the run for the frame to sit on and left the inner bit bare soil

My run is on slabs and has a good five inches of woodchip and wood shavings over the slabs which is plenty deep enough for the chooks to dig in

If you put a roof on your run it gives you more flexibility regarding base and bedding

This will be our first winter with the WIR, but so far on the days when they don't all roam around the garden they seem perfectly happy scratching about in the Aubiose all day. We tend to chuck in some corn or breadcrumbs into the WIR on days they haven't been in the garden and they look delighted :lol:.

Andrew

Definitely want a roof on, make it more cosier in the Winter.
If you use any of the horse bedding materials you will need a roof. The stuff is designed to soak up fluid (i.e. horse wee). If large quantities of rain land on it, then it will swell up and be useless in no time.

Andrew

I've got mine with the slabs round the edge and soil in the middle. Works really well and they have a rare time digging craters in it :lol: .

I have a couple of large slabs just inside the door and a brush so we can sweep away poop and bedding easily without getting any on our shoes.

You'll see my WIR in my signature link!

My OH built ours as we had such an odd shape I dont think anyone else would have taken it on :lol: He used lenghts of 2x3" timber made into 6' panels with a centre post so that 3'wide mesh would fit easily onto the panels. Mesh bought from Hills of Devon. The roof is corrugated plastic sheets from Wickes. The floor is concrete with a soil centre

025.jpg

We have easibed on the concrete and woodchips on the soil. The girls seem to love it. Have also added perches and a dustbathing tyre since this photo was taken.

Good luck and looking forward to the pictures of your new WIR and MORE chickens :lol: