Biker Chick

Ebay Query

As I know there are a lot of Ebay experts on this forum :wink: I am looking for a bit of advice, please.

I sold a used fruit juicer on Ebay last week and now the buyer is saying that it is dirty and sratched and that there was no packing inside the box to protect the item. Now, I know full well that the item was spotless and there was no scratches. I packed the parcel up myself and used lots of scrunched up newspaper to protect it from damage. Anyway, the buyer has asked for the return postage to be paid by me (it cost £11.64 to post). I have said to them that as soon as I receive the returned item I would refund all monies due. Now, they are saying that they want to keep the item but they want a partial refund!!!

It doesnt help that the buyer is not English (although lives in this country) and doesnt speak very good english (or makes out he cant)

Do you think this person is just "trying it on" and where do I stand with Ebay??? Are you meant to refund the postage so they can return it??? I know that if you buy anything from a catalogue and return it you loose your postage cost, does this apply to Ebay???

Thanks for any advice.....its driving me mad today, as I keep getting these emails from the buyer that dont really make much sense, one minute he wants to keep it and then he wants to send it back :evil:

Yep, tell them to stuff it!

You might get a neg,but will have to take it on the chin I am afraid.

Some sellers do cover the cost of return postage,but with ebay there are no hard & fast rules, & he does sound like he is trying it on.

With anything,especially electrical goods, its well worth taking some high res snaps to prove the condition it was sent in 8)

Also if there were any scratches,you need to be really honest in your description,but in this case,as they keep changing their mind,I suspect a case of buyers remorse :roll:

If you buy something on eBay you have to take the rough with the smooth. If you don't like something it is tough, you don't get to send it back unless your seller lists that they have a returns policy. These people are probably going to give you a negative feedback whatever you do so if I were you I would tell them that your description was accurate and that you don't accept returns. You are not obliged to refund anything. What is their history like and feedback?

Actually, they do have pretty good feedback history BUT they are sellers more than buyers.

Ok, not too bothered about neg feedback from them, but I take it they can open a dispute with Paypal, and then Paypal will take the money and return it to them. Is this right?? So basically, I could end up with no juicer, and them getting their money back :evil:

Thanks.

I have had this happen to me on a couple of occasions. Basically it is a scam and the buyer wants a reduction in the price and was quite a prevalent subject on the ebay forums a few years ago.

I requested photographs to be e-mailed to me of the damage (knowing there was not any) and the inadequate packing and I would then consider a full refund including p&p. I also said I was going to take the matter up with the post office as the parcel must have been tampered with as I had packed it securely. Both times the buyers backed down as they didn't really want a refund, just some money off!

I don't think e-bay would take this seriously as a dispute but make sure you keep all the e-mails going backwards and forwards as evidence to send them if necessary and a one off negative feedback is always countered by all of your positives.

Of course you could always get in there first and seek advice from the e-bay help line as you are being hassled by an unreasonable buyer?!

Best of luck, selling can be so stressful when you get people like this!

Thanks all for the valuable advice :) I knew I could count on you all.

I have emailed the buyer and requested photographic evidence of any damage/scratches and the lack of packaging and then, as you say, I have said that perhaps we should make a claim to the Post Office.

Hopefully, this will be the end of it.

Puts you off selling anything really, although I must admit, this has never happened to me before and usually the buyers are great.

I have said that perhaps we should make a claim to the Post Office.

Sioux, THEY should make the claim....................

Let them know without any shadow of a doubt that you have good photos of the item (above & beyond the one you put on the listing) that show it in good condition.

You may need to forward these to them so that they can make a claim,but TBH I would be suprised if it went that far.

I had that awful man try to scam me for money back when I sold the car on ebay. It makes you feel awful so I understand how you are feeling.

Reading between the lines from contact with our local police, it turned out he was driving the car without insurance. I reported the sale to them when I offered him a full refund as I was worried in case he committed traffic offences. He got really shirty when I told him I had reported it. There was no further discussion after that except for the negative feedback.

:(

unfortunately ebay is full of scammers and complainers nowadays, i have a great feedback profile, but some people are just stupid.

i specifically put i my listings that i dont post outisde the UK but people still meaage to ask 2will you send to spain/ukraine etc!" one woman in particular felt the need to have a moan that the postage on a coat was double what i charged, could it be because i managed to get it into a padded envelope instead of the box i was originally going to send it in?? she had the cheek to ask me to refund £3! i told her where to go. i said you knew the postage costs when you bid for the item, it arrived within 2 days of you paying for it (not the 7 days listed) so no! she left me alone after that but you o have to have a thick skin to sell or buy on there unfortunately :(