ajayb Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Is it really possible that some chooks will have stopped laying for the winter already? We have a mixture of breeds and have found the hybrids to be the most reliable layers so far. Two of our pure breeds (a wyandotte and a welsummer) have been broody this summer. They are both under a year old and the wyandotte hasn't laid since she stooped being broody, whereas the welsummer started again for a couple of months but has laid nothing for over a week now. Should I expect nothing from either of them until the Spring? (I don't mind, as we have plenty of eggs, but just want to be sure they are well.) I haven't wormed the 'flock' for a couple of months. As they free-range every day, could this be a problem? I'm reluctant to 'over-worm' as I thought that wasn't a good idea either. They get regular probiotic yoghourt and apple cider vinegar. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Worming with flubenvet is a good place to start, maybe check them for mites and dust them with red-mite powder. Has anything else changed? It could just be something like a moult or as you say, slowing down for winter, but worming is a good idea either way Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 16, 2009 Share Posted October 16, 2009 I'd say it's more likely to be that time of year, especially seeing where you live. Mine started slowing down a couple of weeks ago and are smack bang in the middle of a moult now. Instead of getting half a dozen eggs a day, I'm down to half a dozen a week, but fortunately my Silver Sussex bantam pullets are showing signs of coming into lay soon ... fingers crossed. Chickens don't necessarily read the rule book, but once their moult is over, your best layers may start again quite quickly. Then again, they might have a rest until spring. Chickens eh! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted October 16, 2009 Share Posted October 16, 2009 All my chooks are about 7 months old. One started laying then stopped for about two weeks, I thought she must have stopped for the winter but we have had an egg of her everyday this week. I suppose they are all different. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajayb Posted October 18, 2009 Author Share Posted October 18, 2009 Thanks, everyone, for your replies - always good to know others' experiences! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 After a summer of broodiness my 2 Cochins have stopped now... Probably wont start again till March - so you are not alone. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 Coco, it's an age thing. Because your youngsters have just come into lay, they will probably keep laying throughout the winter and right through to their first proper moult next year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted October 19, 2009 Share Posted October 19, 2009 My WIR looks like someones emptied a feather pillow in there and I'm down to one egg a day. Its been gradually going down from 3 to 2 for quite a long time. I think mine were just preparing for the moult. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...