dr dkbee

new beehaus and bees

I have recently bought a Beehaus in green and my nucleus of bees arrived in late September. Has anyone got any advice for my first winter with the Beehaus. I am not sure that I have closed it up correctly for the Winter. Is anyone else in the same position?

!bee! in Beehaus

I presume you have fed the nuc with syrup ?

If so, then make sure the entrance is turned to 'wasp', then close the brood chamber up with the follower board, and fit the cover boards above, with no supers and leave the white board in below the open mesh floor.

There will be a handbook out shortly on this website.

Hope this is helpful, if not, get in touch !

regards

S

I still have a feeder of syrup on, last time I looked it was still half-full so I left it, but I had just put a treatment of Apiguard on and I've been advised by someone on here that they don't take much feed when that is in the hive.

I'm going to open the hive today if it warms up and doesn't rain, and provided they have enough stores then I'll take the feeder off as I want to take off the super that is surroundign it. Mine have got several frames of stores though - if yours is a new nuc then I'd go on feeding as long as they are taking it.

Thanks for the information. I opened up the hive yesterday. The bees had finished the last bucket of feed so I put on another. I met Johhanes from Omlet at the National Honey show on Saturday and he said that I should continue feeding as the weather has been so warm. However the weather forcast is not looking so good over the next few days so I think that this might be the last feed. !bee!

I have recently bought a Beehaus in green and my nucleus of bees arrived in late September.

Is it just me, or is this very late in the year to start with a nuc. Shouldn't you wait until next year and have the summer to allow the colony to build up. What is the likelihood of this colony surviving?

I always over winter a couple of nucs, There is no reason why a nuc is less likley to survive than a full colony.

Main thing is that you ahve the corect ratio of bees, to stores, to space.

I.e engough stores to feed said amout of bees, but with the minium of wasted space for the bees to waste energy/food keeping warm.

I have recently bought a Beehaus in green and my nucleus of bees arrived in late September.

Is it just me, or is this very late in the year to start with a nuc. Shouldn't you wait until next year and have the summer to allow the colony to build up. What is the likelihood of this colony surviving?

It is actually the last month of the year you can get a nuc. As they had few food stores, I fed them with plenty of sugar syrup before it turned cold and on boxing day they where given fondant and so far is doing just fine.

!bee!

Ooo did you go to the Honey Show...I wanted to but had had a sick child earlier in the week & succumbed myself on Saturday..........was it a good day out?

Sha x

Yes I did go. Although it was fullm of anoraks, it was fun. I bought a cheap paor of gloves for my daughter and my grandson loved watching the bees in an inspection frame.