harinder

rabbit insurance?

A good place to pick up not only leaflets but people's views, is a vets. I used to work for one and because they are dealing with them on a regular basis, providing pet's histories, making claims on clients' behalf etc. they get a pretty good idea of who they think is more efficient, fair etc. than others. I very much doubt if they'll go so far as to recommend one over another but it's worth a chat - and with people in the waiting room too if you can pluck up the courage.

My cats and rabbits have been insured through Pet Plan for years and they suit me. The cost can be higher than other companies but it's worth bearing in mind that they will not just insure one illness for only one year, they will continue to insure your pet throughout its illness.

About a year ago for a friend I looked into several companies' policies versus fees and came to the same conclusion about Pet Plan. However, they decided to go with another cheaper company even though they realise that if their pet gets an ongoing illness like cancer, kidney problems, etc., they'll only be covered for one year.

So, it's really a personal decision. An alternative is to find out what the monthly premiums would be and then save that amount each month. I must admit that I've been tempted as over 10 years I've only claimed twice and you have to remember that with each claim you will have to pay an excess. Some of my pets bills haven't been more than the excess during an illness and so I couldn't claim.

Hope that helps!

:D Cool! How do you transport your chickens to the vets? Do they go into a travel basket. I'm intrigued and I'm not sure why ...... perhaps I'm thinking of adding chickens to my menagerie!

As a child, my family always kept chickens but I can't recall them needing the vet. We also had goats and the vet made house calls for them, so perhaps he checked over the chickens at the same time. It's amazing what you don't notice when you're younger :eh: