Do I own the oddest chicken ever?

My son released a mouse from a humane mouse trap, but as it decided which way to run, Lilly spotted it from several feet away, caught it, hurled it around, bashed it to death and ate it. All that was left was a spot of blood on her head!

I mistakenly thought chickens were gentle, peacefull creatures, not barbaric killers. Is this usual behaviour?

Jane

PS - a very large egg appeared a couple of days later!

Yes I've heard of this before - think its quite normal!

We have mice at the moment, and have had mousetraps down but with no success yet. It did cross my mind to offer any unfortunate trapped mouse to the chooks, but I don't know if I would in reality!!

Totally normal. Chickens are sweet gentle creatures till they get the sent of blood and then the red mist comes down and they turn into vicious killers :shock: Don't worry too much they return to their usual sweet selves quite quickly, just don't take to wearing red nail varnish on your toes. (My mother did once, ouch! :lol: )

I once tried to rake the run out last summer, in a pair of sandals, and red varnished toenails...... :doh::doh::doh: BIG mistake! You can't run for fear of sqaushing them, as they crowd around your toes, going in for the kill!