Tweety Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 Fluff, one of my frizzle pekins, is having trouble keeping her balance. The first time I noticed the problem was on Sunday afternoon, when she fell over onto her face and had a real struggle to get herself back upright. She was very quiet and looked a bit miserable after that, although she managed to get herself in and out of the Cube that night. She was running around quite normally on Monday morning, but then suddenly fell over again, so I isolated her until I could get her to the vet this morning. The vet can find nothing wrong with her and is having a look through her chicken books and will ring me later if she comes up with anything. Apparently Fluff's legs are fine, no sign of injury, and neurologically she is fine too. Eyes and ears are also ok. She is eating, drinking, dustbathing quite normally. The vet has advised me to keep her somewhere her movements are restricted for the time being, just in case it is a problem with the legs, so she is in the hospital wing of the run with all her friends around her and seems quite happy. I just wondered if anyone has heard of anything similar or has any ideas about what the problem might be? I would be very grateful for any help. Apologies for the long post. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 I am no expert here - but has your vet ruled out Mareks? I hope you find a solution - having lost a little one yesterday to a genetic weakness I know how you feel Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 I agree with Patricia that it could be Mareks....or perhaps an ear infection. Either way, I'd get a vet's opinion tbh. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted October 28, 2009 Author Share Posted October 28, 2009 Marek's was my first thought, but the vet has ruled it - and an ear infection -out. The vet rang me this evening having done some more research, and thinks it can only be muscular or orthopaedic - and said to take Fluff back next week if she is no better. Fluff herself seems fine, and I haven't seen her fall over at all today, just look a bit wobbly. I shall keep her confined to the hospital wing for a few days and see if there is any change. Thanks for your advice Patricia and Egluntyne. If anyone else has any bright ideas, I would be very grateful to hear them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jimnpaula Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 How you'd test for it I don't know but - drop in blood pressure? - does she seem to lose consciousness? My first thoughts have already been said, and my other thought - a drop in blood sugar, would be a slower onset and recovery. P Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...