Cinnamon

Peculiar Bantam roosting behaviour!

Little Floss the Poland has always roosted happily in the Eglu with the other girls until a couple of days ago.

Now when we go to tuck them in at night,she is fast asleep on top of the Eglu,roosting on the black handle which opens & closes the door :?

The Eglu is on a platform,so its quite a leap for someone with such small legs to get up there!

She is most indignant at being relocated,& perches on your finger,then runs up your arm :lol:

Any ideas why this funny thing is roosting al fresco?

I like to put her in so I can part close the door to keep them warm,as they are all still so small.

Awww, what a sweetie :D She's the night-watchman, standing on guard of the eglu overnight to keep her pals safe :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It does sound a bit of a strange habit to get into, especially since it must be pretty cold out there at night.

No serious suggestions as to why she's doing it Sarah, these hens do some very odd things sometimes, but I'd be the same as you putting her into the eglu at bedtime.

We have a few which seem to prefer to sleep outside. Like you, we kept trying to put them to bed but now we just leave them. The ducks never go in to bed! Mindy uses the Eglu to lay her eggs in and that's all.

The only other thing I thought of is red mite? I know with wooden housing, if the hens are reluctant to go inside, it is the first thing to check for. You could have a few on the ends of the roosting bars?

Mine very rarely sleep indoors at the moment. I think it's because of chick being such a pain, but I've given up trying to make them sleep indoors. I worry about the cold as well, but they just don't seem to care. There's a hard core who always sleep indoors and beryl, hazel and kitty (and chick) who like to romp around the run, stuffing their faces at all hours of the night. Very odd.

Its so funny.

She sits up there like a little sentry,with her head bent down trying to peer into the Eglu.

No red mite,thank goodness :D

Cleo is worried that the others are being mean to Floss at bedtime,which is why she prefers not to sleep in the Eglu :roll:

She does seem awfully reluctant to be moved from her littl perch, & also perches on your finger like a budgie :lol:

We shall keep moving her I think, as a cold snap is on its way.

Coudl be that Sarah, now that you remind me, mine went through a phase of bullying at the Eglu door not long after I introduced Fleur and Lucille. Dolly took it upon herself to stand in the doorway and peck them when they tried to go in. Bless them, they didn't have the sense to wait until she'd settled down an bit and then go in :roll: They all now have a strict order for entering the eglu at night - perhaps my chooks have OCD :shock: