chick wiggle Posted November 13, 2009 Share Posted November 13, 2009 My WIR has a roof and side protection so practically no rain can get in, but the bedding is still really, really damp. I can only think its the fog we've had and just the generally damp weather. I only changed the bedding a couple of weeks ago, is there anything else I can do to try and keep it dryer or do I have to change it more often? Does anyone have the same problem? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 13, 2009 Share Posted November 13, 2009 What do you use as bedding Sandie? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 13, 2009 Author Share Posted November 13, 2009 I use easibed Claret. Most of it has turned into a darket colour from the damp. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted November 13, 2009 Share Posted November 13, 2009 I am finding this too CW. I use Aubiose. My run is actually made up of three solid panels (built into corner of fencing) and only the front is open. I have put plastic sheeting at the bottom about 1.5ft high to prevent back splash but didn`t want to cover anymore than that as I wanted a bit of airflow. There is some rain getting in but i am wondering if it is just due to the time of year as the grass is sodden in the mornings too. I have found that it only tends to be the top layer that is wer so I give it all a good kick about every time i pop in there. My run is on slabs so I don`t think moisture is getting in that way. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 13, 2009 Author Share Posted November 13, 2009 I was wondering if it was condensation dripping off the roof, that and the damp weather Poor little girls getting their tootsies wet Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted November 13, 2009 Share Posted November 13, 2009 I have this problem in my aviary, which has a covered roof and partially covered sides, but tbh I think it's because we usually get horizontal rain. I tend to pick the droppings in there most days then use a shovel to turn the aubiose over a few times. Stopping it getting compacted seems to help it dry out better. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 13, 2009 Author Share Posted November 13, 2009 Oh blimey , more humping bedding, turning it over then! Thanks everyone, as long as its not me doing things wrong! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 13, 2009 Author Share Posted November 13, 2009 Yep, just double checked the roof and on the 'down' bits of the corrugated roof, there are a trillion drops, so condensation is the problem. No idea how to solve that one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted November 13, 2009 Share Posted November 13, 2009 Maybe opening up the side protection would create a bit more air flow and release some of the condensation? maybe it is cold outside but warm in the run? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 13, 2009 Author Share Posted November 13, 2009 Could be, I mean theres loads of gaps but it is well sheltered, I suppose getting the right combination is the thing. Think I'll just get a giant feather moppy type thingy and swish the roof every morning How to get it through the wire roof to the corrugated roof could be tricky Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted November 14, 2009 Share Posted November 14, 2009 How to get it through the wire roof to the corrugated roof could be tricky Cotton buds? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 14, 2009 Author Share Posted November 14, 2009 How to get it through the wire roof to the corrugated roof could be tricky Cotton buds? Ermmm, good idea,..... maybe gone some time Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...