ballgunner

batteries arrive tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would keep them be separate for longer than a day if you can. Can you use a sheet of chickenwire or similar to divide the Eglu run in half, so that they are each confined to a smaller space? If you can put the new hens in the Eglu coop end and give the existing hen(s?) a basket to roost in in the other end, they'll be a bit cramped but they will have a chance to get used to one another without violence.

When they're asleep, you can put them all in the Eglu coop. When they wake up, you can separate them again. Repeat until comfortable to mix.

This worked well for me. When I did let the old hen near the two battery hens, I did it in the garden and there was very little pecking.

Somebody....I think it was Snowy Howells....had a very ingenious method of dividing the run by making a kind if portcullis arrangement with what looked like garden canes.....There's a pic somewhere. I thought it looked a lot easier to put up and take down than chicken wire.....and cheaper too.

I'm sure some kind Omleteer will post a link to the pic....I can't find it now.

pic41.gif

Thank you Lera...I wish I could take the credit for it...but it is Snowy's invention.

I am so impressed with its sheer simplicity.....Necessity really is the mother of invention!

Also:

A couple of bundles of garden canes will cost less than a fiver, but a roll of chicken wire will cost about £10-15 ....and its vicious stuff, difficult to work with and it snags one's stockings terribly. :lol:

Don't panic!!

Separate them for tonight.

Clean the wounds and see if you can get some anti peck spray or similar tomorrow.

If you put them together tomorrow, stay around, and squirt the aggressive one with a water pistol every time she does it....she might get the message.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me will offer further/better advice.

I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run.

Hi Ballgunner - I havent had to deal with this problem so I'm afraid I'm not much help. But I assume they'll have gone to roost by now, and so maybe it'll be better in the morning because that particular wound will have stopped bleeding.

If the pecking keeps on, then you could try bumper bits, which I gather lots of people have had success with. I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice on this and other anti-pecking + peck healing solutions.

I'd love to see your photos, by the way! We were there helping with the unloading today, and it'd be really good to see how some of those sad, bedraggled little chooks recover!

Yes, Ballgunner, you're right that seeing the blood will mean the pecking continues. Are they roosting now? If they're sleeping now they should be fine overnight.

Tomorrow, one will have to show they are boss, and now you know which one it is!

Instead of having their food and water in just one place, try and have it at 3 stations to start, a heavy bowl will do. Most fights will be over food and if there is plenty, this helps, as Top Hen can't be in 3 places at once!

Remember they are used to just trying to survive, so having a friendly companion is a new idea but I'm sure they'll appreciate it soon.

Good luck tomorrow, keep us up to date. :D