pasq

Ginger been mawled by something? -Dog/Fox?

Few days ago i noticed that ginger had lost most of her vent feathers... At first i thought that Pepper was pecking her (i've seen that vent pecking can be a problem). Got her checked yesterday- apparently she has been mawled by something. Bit of bruising, teeth marks. All i can think of is next door's jack russell. I've caught my hens in their garden a few times (dog barking etc). They go out for an hour or so in the morning unattended) She seems ok, eating drinking etc. Just her jolly self. Hope she's ok, can't stop worrying. Fed her some of her favourite things yesterday, grapes, sweetcorn (bit of T.L.C)... Made the decision not to leave them on their own when they are out.

I do hope Ginger is OK..............My Ginger was attacked by a Harris hawk 2 weeks ago, the vet gave her a course of antibiotics she is still limping around but is much better and eating and drinking............. I would keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't wander into next doors garden ............Mine are all so frightened they won't come out of the run unless I am outside...............Good luck i hope she makes a full recovery.

:shock: Next door's Jack Russell sounds the likely candidate if your hens go visiting there!

Perhaps some fence repairs would be reassuring so that neither dog nor hens can swap gardens?

Do hope she heals well & quickly. A narrow escape & a shock I should imagine, best wishes :)

Yes, I agree it sounds like the Jack Russell.

Two of my girls have been "got at" by our next door neighbour's lurcher pup who came into our garden. Fortunately it is still young so they are in the process of training it.

It looked different from a fox attack - lots of feathers were missing and it looked as if the skin was s"Ooops, word censored!"ed rather than bitten with puncture marks. The first time was worse than the second (in severity) and it was very lucky that Mable didn't die as an end result.

Yes, I agree it sounds like the Jack Russell.

Two of my girls have been "got at" by our next door neighbour's lurcher pup who came into our garden. Fortunately it is still young so they are in the process of training it.

It looked different from a fox attack - lots of feathers were missing and it looked as if the skin was s"Ooops, word censored!"ed rather than bitten with puncture marks. The first time was worse than the second (in severity) and it was very lucky that Mable didn't die as an end result.

Thanks for your comments.... Ginger is still her usual perky self (flying around the place, still eating and drinking as usual!)

I have noticed this morning that where she was chewed a couple of more feathers have dropped out (and there is now a bald patch near her tail) -about a 2 inch area, do you think this is what happens few days after? Suppose the feathers have been weakened by her being mawled? Like you mentioned the skin is s"Ooops, word censored!"ed -bit red.

Mabel had a few loose feathers for a while - I think that some are not quite loose enough to come out straight afterwards and they come out in time. By the sounds of it I would put money on the dog.

Mabel is now fully feathered again and is no worse for wear.

Thanks Linda.