molly&polly

RSPCA: Rabbit Adoption

New Rablu owner. Visited the RSPCA branch local to us in Milbrook, Surrey, only to be refused rabbits for adoption on the basis that they had never heard or seen the Rablu and did not believe the sleeping accommodation would be adepuate for one bunny never mind two. Insisted I bought a 6x6x2 hutch instead. Would not even do the mandatory "home visit" to check out the accommodation on offer.

In the end, had to purchase a pair of bunnies from a pet shop under very doubtful managment, which I had hoped to avoid.

Has anyone else had the same experience with the RSPCA? I am very dissappionted as I think we could have offered a good home to two of the 35,000 bunnies abandoned in the UK each year...

Spoke to the owners of Omlet and they assured me they had the full backing of the RSPCA top brass for the Rablu, but that the message had simply not be cascaded dwon through the ranks...

Anyway, our two bunnies are very happy out there all day in the Rablu, eating the grass and getting the fresh air. Incidentally, I have combined both the winter and summer covers to give them adequate protection agains the elements...

What a shame, I feel like you about pet shop bunnies, I have one of each, shop bunny and RSPCA bunny. Fortunately my RSPCA centre, were ok about the rablu, but I did rehome my bunny while I still had my wooden hutch, but have spoken to one of the workers since, she said they liked them. I'm hoping to have a run over next week to our centre so I will ask again, I can't see why one area has one rule and others have other rules :? my old hutch had an 8ft run, which was so heavy to move around, my rablu has the converter, which makes it 9ft, just over infact, so I can't see why they would refuse a rehome! Any way rant over, enjoy your new bunnies, they have the best house ever! :D Wonder if other bunny charities like cotton tails would aprove of the rablu?

That is a shame :cry:

Some of these rehoming charities don't do themselves any favours I have been on the receiving end a couple of times :roll:

The cats protection league would have let me have a cat when I lived in the centre of a town because there were gardens behindmy flat but won't let me have one now because I had a cat run over where I live now in the middle of the countryside :evil:

I want to get a dog and an older rescue one would be ideal but alas I work full time so the answer is always no :evil::evil::evil:

If I was unemployed and ill equiped to pay vet fees they would let me have one :roll:

Would never have anything to with the RSPCA whenever you report a case of cruelty, you have to do all the running to get the evidence for them, and then they may make enquiries. I reported somebody for mistreatment of a dog (this same person is banned from owning dogs in a previous case) not seen or heard anything since ?? waste of time.

Also a charity for animals which is endorsed by the word "Royal", would that be the same Royals that shoot and hunt animals for fun ??

There are other animal shelters and sancturies, and adoption centres, search these out, they will be a lot more appreciative than that lot.

J X

Yes J I have heard of similar things about the RSPCA, our local branch is'nt too bad, but I had an injured baby crow in my garden last summer and had to take it to them, I have a car, wonder what would have happend if I had'nt had my own transport!

I too had mixed views from the RSPCA about rablu's. My local branch would have nothing to do with me if I had a rablu but the branch over in Aylesbury did not have a problem with it at all and even had its own eglu out on the grass!!

They can be so picky about rehoming...If I had just stuck with the branch locally I too would have ended up buying from a pet shop, but because I looked on their web site and it gave smaller minimum dimensions for run and cage than the ridiculous ones I had been given over the phone fom my branch I simply travelled 20 miles away to talk to someone sensible and consequently rehomed 3 bunnies, a mum Milly and her too babies Max and Mindy.

So it is worth looking further afield than your local branch.

We tried the local RSPCA for rehoming a bun when my son lost his rabbit recently, as there was an advert in the local press about 27 gp's and 2 rabbits being abandoned.

We were told we had to have a home visit, despite living in a rented property at the moment, they said that it didn't matter :? they also tend to pair up or make groups of animals to be rehomed, and as my son only wanted one to replace the one he lost, they still didn't want to split the pairs, so we ended up at a pet shop :(

We did want to help abandoned bunnies, but it is rather difficult sometimes :(

karen x