bluekarin

What to do about candles dripping on candelabra?

I have a wrought iron candelabra, which I love to have lit when friends are over for dinner or just to warm the place up of an evening. The trouble is, the drip catchers (the saucery bit at the base of the holder) seems to be too small to retain any wax and it drips all over the table. Bad enough if I have a tablecloth on, but even worse when there is food bellow! Wax with your mash anyone? :vom:

So I was trying to think of a way to make the drip catchers bigger, without it looking odd. I was thinking of air drying clay and then painting it black, or Fimo - but would have to bake it and it might shrink a bit. So was hoping if anyone had any other suggestions :pray:

Might sound like a daft idea, but a circle of black card? As long as you blew the candle out before it reached the card it should be ok. Fimo would work too!

Nope, not a daft idea at all. I shall try it. Along with refrigerating the candles as apparently that helps them to stop dripping. Thank you :D

edited to say there are no worries about the candles reaching where the card would be as they are in their own little iron holder.

I had a sudden brain wave whilst baking some of Poet muffins (milk choc chip and vanilla) - I have some small paper cupcake cases with a pretty pattern on the outside. I have cut a small hole in the middle so it can fit round the candle holder, popped it on, weighted it down with some uncooked rice and jobs a good 'un! There isn't a worry of the paper case catching fire as the candle goes nowhere near it. And if I do say so myself, it looks quite pretty :D I'll keep an eye out now for some more with different patterns.