Blodri

Advice please on cleaning run

We have an eglu plus run plus convertor. We also have an electricfied 25m fence around the Eglu so they have more space. During the snow they have been mainly confined to their extended run because the heavy snow tended to short out the electric or reduce the shock. We lost our last 2 chooks to a fox who got over the fence before it was electric so we don't like to take any risks.

My question is how do people clean out their runs? We have been raking it but can't reach to the end with the convertor on. The opening is too small to get through the front and as we have lots of extra pegs keeping down the skirt of the run as it is on uneven ground it would be a pain to have to move every week.

Help please - it's getting very messy! I should add it's grass base - well it was once! We have got a tarpaulin over the top for protection but it still gets a bit damp.

Thanks in advance.

(green eglu)

PP Flavia

GNR Ola

We take the eglu off the run. So the run remains pegged down, as like you, ours has lots of pegs in and the ground isn't as flat as it looks!!

Taking the eglu off is not difficult for us (just 4 screws) - and gives me a chance to give the eglu a good clean as well!

But only do it after the chooks have laid, as it takes a while, and otherwise I get told off continuously and asked to hurry up whilst I'm cleaning everything out if they are waiting to lay!

could you put a load of woodchips down? i did this when i has an eglu and then replaces the lot every 4 monthsish?

i used lawn edging round the base of the run (tie wrapped on) to stop them chucking it out!

it gives them something to scratch round in and it kept pretty clean

katie

When my (green eglu) and run was in a fixed position I used to unclip the door panel completely when I did a full clean.....those clips are fiddly but as I only did an all singing all dancing clean once ever 6 weeks it was ok.

I am a shorty too so i would put my waterproofs on and crawl into the run to clean it too.

The easiest way I have found to deal with the eglu run clean is to move the whole lot. Pick up the run at the door end and pivot it about 45 degrees. Not always possible due to space etc but it does allow cleaning and standing at the same time! :)