Cranfield Kate Posted January 18, 2010 Share Posted January 18, 2010 please be honest with your answer because I don't want to do something really silly and potentially harmful to the chicks. would it be really stupid to hatch chicks with no hens at all? when my ex batts go to the great coop in the sky, I like the idea of having my own hen family starting from scratch. so i would get eggs, incubate them and then watch them grow into hens. I can't see that it would be a good idea to hatch eggs and then mix them in with ex batts without a mum to protect them so I am thinking its one or the other with this. tell me if you think i am just being self-indulgent in wanting to raise chicks like this. I love my batts and would happily just get more of those but I also fancy expanding my hen family. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 18, 2010 Share Posted January 18, 2010 You can hatch them, raise them in a brooder separately from any other hens and then integrate them when they are older. If incubating them yourself, its best to keep them away from other hens until they were at point of lay If they were under a broody hen, she'd look after them (and obviously be with them) but other hens should still be kept away. Hatching them and raising them and not integrating them, as if you were starting a flock from scratch is fine too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cranfield Kate Posted January 18, 2010 Author Share Posted January 18, 2010 Thank you for that - most helpful. By the way, what is that on your profile picture? it's a very pretty bird. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted January 18, 2010 Share Posted January 18, 2010 Yes you can do that no problems Bear in mind that some eggs wont be fertile, some wont hatch and when they do hatch and get older you'll need to do something about the cockerels so buy more eggs than you want to end up with as birds If I wanted 3 girls for example I'd probably start off with 10 or 12 eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 18, 2010 Share Posted January 18, 2010 By the way, what is that on your profile picture? it's a very pretty bird. Thats Purkinje, a 'Brilley White' still too young to lay but they're hopefully Bear in mind that some eggs wont be fertile, some wont hatch and when they do hatch and get older you'll need to do something about the cockerels so buy more eggs than you want to end up with as birds If I wanted 3 girls for example I'd probably start off with 10 or 12 eggs Forgot to mention that ... I set 12 eggs, 7 hatched ... and Purkinje is the only girl left Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted January 18, 2010 Share Posted January 18, 2010 I set 10 eggs, 5 hatched and at least 4 were boys, still not sure about the fifth but it's bound to be a boy too isn't it? Prepare to be disappointed, to have your heart broken but it is lots of fun too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cranfield Kate Posted January 18, 2010 Author Share Posted January 18, 2010 thank you all - i knew i could rely on sensible answers from the omleteers. loving Punkije... she and hob"Ooops, word censored!" have me smitten. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...