Cinnamon

Omlet vans on LPG ? .....well ours run on VEGGIE OIL

I have just read with interest that Omlet have some vans running on LPG.

We used to run our van on LPG, & while it was effecient & green, we found that there were no LPG suppliers in our area.

So, we had to get an LPG tank in our garden & have it filled a couple of times a year.

It took up a fair bit of space & as we had to pay for 6 months of fuel at a time, was quite a large expense.

Anyhow, this was fine for a few years, until we found an even better, greener soloution.

For a very small price (under £300) and a weekends work my Hubby converted the van to run on Vegetable oil.

Yes, instead of Petrol or Diesel it runs on veggie oil.

It is SO cheap (no VAT on food products), very good for the environment & we even have local chippies saving their oil for us or they have to pay to have it taken away & disposed of.

The van runs really well ,although it smells like chips sometimes!

We may convert our next car (it has to be a deisel engine to work)

I just thought I would share, as people here seem to like the green way of living!

If anyone wants more info let me know & I will post a link to the website

8) That's fantastic, & really interesting. I had heard of the idea, brilliant in so many ways, after all the chippy fat has to be disposed of somehow.

I've no idea how big this is yet though...was it you (or maybe the chippy) that was featured on a radio programme a while back?

Is it possible/likely to take off in a bigger way? A web link would be a good idea. :D

It is an idea which is taking off now.

We keep in touch with the company that does the conversion kits, & they say that interest is increasing all the time.especially with fuel prices on the up.

Here is a link, if anyone is interested.

http://www.dieselveg.com/

The funniest thing is the look of disbelieve that people give you when you tell them that you use oil instead of Diesel. A few have blatently called us liars, or thought we were taking the mick & my Dad would not believe it until he came around a watched Hubby filling up with a bottle of Tescos own!

The Government is not fully onto this yet, & while it is perfectly legal & safe they are apparantly none too happy about people doing this & not paying VAT because its a food stuff..

We have to be very careful with our end of year accounting, & make certain that we kep well within the Govenments guidelines regarding road fuel tax.

That sounds brill - I have to admit Paul told me about being able to run your car on cooking oil last night but I didnt believe him (well, he's my husband, I tell him regularly that he is not very often right - dont want to encourage him! :wink: ) I'm getting a new company diesel car next month - wonder what the bosses will say if I suggest using chip fat?!?!?!