Ophelia

Considering geting a hive

Hello

I have wanted to get some bees for years. Last year I started re-searching and trying to find a bee keeping course. I am beginning to wonder whether it really is practical for me to keep bees. I work full time so will only be able to check on them in the evenings and in winter it is dark when I leave the house and get home.

Is it possible to care for a hive and to understand the bee's behaviour if I only really have the weekends with them? If they swarm I won't be around to do anything.

Thanks

Absolutely possible - while a lot of beekeepers are retired, many more work full-time, as I do.

The beauty of bees (unlike chickens!) is that they don't need much doing to them in the winter, when evenings are short, and in the summer when they do need a bit more attention, it's light late enough to deal with them.

In fairness, I struggled a little bit last autumn when the evenings drew in and I still needed to open the hive, because the weekends didn't coincide with sunny dry days! You've got fewer options then, but it is still do-able.

As far as swarming is concerned, if you follow advice then there is no need for your bees to swarm (I'm saying this tongue in cheek, because it's not necessarily as simple as that!) But think about it - if you were not at work, you still wouldn't be in the garden every day watching the hive - they could swarm while you were upstairs making the bed or out at the post office or any one of a hundred other things. I really wouldn't be put off by working full-time.

Go to the BBKA website, look at 'Members' and then 'Local Associations' and track down your local group. They may be running a course, but even if they aren't they will certainly welcome you to meetings, and you can probably find someone local who could be your 'mentor'. This is an ideal time of year to start planning to keep bees, good luck and let us know how you get on!

I should add that I only got my first hive last year, I'm a beginner and it's a steep learning curve but I have found most beekeepers to be very helpful and keen to pass on their knowledge.

You can keep bees in a Dartington hive, just as others presumably, with just a dozen inspections/manipulations each season. That is according to the author and main proponent of that type of hive, Robin Dartington, I believe. (Some types of beetainer may need fewer than that number of intrusions into the activities of the colony.)

That may mean some manipulations are time dependent on each other, but it should not be difficult to emulate these inspections reasonably closely.

Remember un-managed colonies receive exactly zero inspections, so it is only the timing of swarm control manipulations which is important (expect some others to disagree, but that is the bottom line, I assure you) and that depends on where your hives are situated, your hopes for honey production, and other priorities.

Regards, RAB

It isn't a very time-hungry hobby, to be honest; to a large extent they are best left alone... certainly IMO inspections should be carried out only to acheive a specific set of goals, not "just to have a look".

Strong swarm-prevention measures don't necessitate being around every day: if they did decide to swarm and set off for new horizons there wouldn't be much you could do about it even if you were there to see them leave - unless you were lucky and they settled somewhere accessible nearby so you could reclaim them.

The thing you could do is go on a course, find out a bit more, and see how you feel about it then.

I have lurked here since the forum started and I am taking the plunge this year too :D I joined my local association last year, have a course booked this spring and a flat national for hubby to assemble. :D:D

8)

Sounds like you're well prepared already!

Good luck :D

I was in your possistion last year (but a bit later in the year), I really wanted bees but didnt now much more.

I have been to the locak BKA as a 'friend' learnt lots and am currently on a course in berkshire.

I have just ofdered my first Hive and am on a list for a nucleus.

the people at the BKA are great, the people here are great and there are a few othere forums. ie loads of help!

Have Fun!

I have lurked here since the forum started and I am taking the plunge this year too :D I joined my local association last year, have a course booked this spring and a flat national for hubby to assemble. :D:D

8)

Sounds like you're well prepared already!

Good luck :D

Getting quite excited. Sussed out the spot in the garden this afternoon. Room for two hives.

I think I'll keep away from asking technical questions here. The answers from a few members are just too scarey :shock::shock::shock:

I reckon there's a lot of truch in the expression "ask 4 beekeepers a question and you'll get 6 different answers"! Hence lots of replies will be contradictory or at least not agree, and occasionally will be defended a little robust-ly (is that a word?). Am not sure that they're often meant to be scary or brusque or whatever. If mine come across that way then please feel free to shout at me :anxious: (bit not too loud!).

I know what you mean, OSH, even the Mods are scared to step in here sometimes! :wink:

Only kidding - we want this to be like the other sections of the forum, a friendly place where there's no such thing as a stupid question. There IS no right or wrong way to do things, there's the way that works for you.

Keep on asking, it's the best way to learn and we really want to encourage discussion and information on here.

Ophelia,

No need to procrastinate!

Get a hive (or preferably two) and get started this year! There will be some places available on courses, I am sure, but there are other routes.

If you have done you research well, you may be able to start with just another new beek as company, or assistance from one of the beekeeping forums.

A seriously better way is a mentor - as in an experienced beek. He/She can guide you through your first year. It is a very good system in that if you only have one colony and something disastrous happens, your mentor is likely to correct the situation without too much panic setting in!

Help-lines to several in your local BKA is another safety net whenever needed, if needed.

It is always better if you can enlist local help. They are there, on the ground, can see the actual symptoms, more easily recognise your errors or the bees condition, postulate recovery plans, etc etc. Not always quite so easy without all the information, and at a distance, to come up with the most appropriate action plan.

Main decision is which format. That really comes down to frame size and shape (length:depth ratio). Go with the locals on that one is my advice (local practical help is easier with the same frame size).

Once you get started you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I did.

Regards, RAB