cathybc

Paypal rant!

Sorry everyone, just need to let off steam.

Yesterday, Paypal suspended my account due to disputed transactions. I replied on line and also called them and it appeared sorted. But no. More disputed transactions today and my account is $200 overdrawn! Trying to speak to someone was a joke - gave up after 20 mins on hold. Poor call centre staff were hopeless and 'managers don't take calls'

It looks to me as though people have somehow paid money into my account, then sent the money elsewhere, then reclaimed the money they had paid in saying it was unauthorised.

I have filed a complaint against Paypal but their customer service so far has been useless and I am really upset about it all - doubly so as my employer has not paid us this year so I am already in a financial pickle AND had £300 vets bills for cat with tumour and having poor Harriet PTS.

(Just feeling sorry for myself - think - I am lucky to not be in Haiti etc)

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sounds like a complete nightmare, poor you. I hate the way PayPal can suspend payments without any investigation first. I had one when a customer overseas hadn't received something within 4 days over Christmas and so contacted PayPal. There is no way it was going to arrive in anything under 2 weeks! Then the buyer just didn't answer emails for weeks :evil: The payment just sat frozen for ages. Hope you sort it out soon.

are you sure the e-mail telling you that your account was suspended was actually from paypal? Fraudsters send these mails out to make people click on the link in the mail, you think you're being redirected to the paypal site but you're sent to a phising site which collects your user name and password. The fraudsters then use your details to remove money from your account.

Are you sure that isn't what's happened?

are you sure the e-mail telling you that your account was suspended was actually from paypal? Fraudsters send these mails out to make people click on the link in the mail, you think you're being redirected to the paypal site but you're sent to a phising site which collects your user name and password. The fraudsters then use your details to remove money from your account.

Are you sure that isn't what's happened?

Good Point

Hi Poet,

thanks for your thought but sadly not, I have logged into Paypal independently (ie not through a link) and there are the disputed transactions and big minus balance.

The payments were supposedly made to a Barclays account and the last 4 digits are showing, so I have also sent details to Barclays to see if they can look from their end too.

We've had problems with PayPal too. Our business (reluctantly) accepts PayPal as a means of payment. Somebody ordered and paid with PayPal, and it came through as a confirmed payment. Problem was, after the confirmation he managed to get in to PayPal and reduce the amount to a trivial sum, nowhere near enough to pay for the postage, let alone the goods. He tried again a second time, with a similar but not identical e-mail address, and we spotted it, but only then realised that he'd already been successful with a similar scam.

We reported it to PayPal but they weren't interested because a payment had been made (pence, not several hundred pounds which it should have been). It was clear he'd managed to find a way to alter the amount he paid through PayPal after confirmation went to the vendor that the payment had been made in full. You would have thought that they would be interested in such a potentially important hack, as it could be disseminated and widely used by the perpetrator, but no. As far as they were concerned, we got some money so they weren't interested. Most of the time they didn't understand what had been done, because a vendor can alter the amount charged through PayPal if, for example, some items ordered are not available - they thought we, the vendor, had made the changes, not the purchaser, who shouldn't be able to make any alterations after the transaction has gone through. Then they quibbled on technicalities to do with the e-mail address we use for payment processing (using a procedure that they themselves recommend) saying it was incorrect. In the end, they just said it wasn't their problem. Not very impressed.

We'd rather not use PayPal, but a significant proportion of customers want to pay this way. In the meantime we have lost several hundred pounds of goods, and remain vulnerable to this kind of attack.

I have been googling Paypal and it does seem that a lot of peoople have problems. I am shocked by some of the stories, including docsquid. My account will certainly be closing!

But - they do seem to have a complaints process, and I read somewhere that they fall under the voluntary jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service. May be worth a look docsquid?

Edited by Guest

The problem we had falls between two areas - it was financial fraud by the buyer, but was also a bit of computer hacking, which isn't financial. That is why PayPal weren't interested.

I would rather not use it at all as their charges are much more to businesses than credit card processing companies as well!