max

Fox attack - will wilma pull through?

hello all,

thanks you for all your kind words or encouragement. i just wanted to update you - wilma has recovered very well from the fox wounds ...and is walking normally now, she was limping before.

but now i have a new problem - in that i caught thelma pecking at her bottom! at first i thought she was just 'cleaning' but after watching her for a while - i saw that she was pecking quite hard and drawing blood! - although the strange thing is that wilma doesn't seem to mind.

i had a closer look today, and there seems to be quite a big wound that has scabbed over - slightly bigger than a fifty pence piece. i'm quite distraught that thelma would do such a thing to her friend especially after all she's been through. wonder if anyone has any advice? wilma seems to be fine now feeding normally, but if thelma keeps pecking wouldn't that make the wound worse?!

would be grateful for any advice.

thanks

Im so glad to hear she has recovered from the fox attack - that was quite some little miracle! :D

I tend to cut a piece off my aloe vera plant and rub it on and sore spots on my girls. Gentian Violet might be an opiton too - its a purple spray that you can put onto bare areas to help deter other chickens from pecking it.

Im sure others will be along soon with their suggestions too.

So pleased Wilma is still with us! :D

thanks - i'm so pleased that wilma has pulled through her fox attack - it really does seem to be a very very narrow escape!

i will try and get some purple spray, and have also ordered some peck rings - because i looked on the forum and they seem to be quite popular?

i know that having survived the fox, i'm sure she'll be ok fending off thelma! i also think it's because i'm keeping them both in the eglu now - so there is also an element of boredom for thelma - i think i'll put in a bell for them to peck at.

thanks again for the kind words of advice!

max