buffie

Ok got my fencing

I find the chickens generally stay put once they've settled in, even if they can get out - as it is their territory and has regular food. (They're more likely to find the gap under the fence, or slip through the pen door when I'm going through.)

Saying that we have 5-6 foot chicken wire which is more difficult, but can be perched on.

We only clipped Susannah and she could fly anyway and turned out to be going under the fence :oops: we kept trimming more off as she was still getting out and thought we'd done it wrong :lol:

Once I read they could escape predators more easily if they could fly I'm happy not to clip wings.

Our 2 veggie patches are redundant at the moment,apart from weeds,& we reckon that if we pen the girls into the patch for a few days then they will do a great job of eating the weeds & turning the ground over ready for planting.

They will fertilize the ground too of course :wink:

What a brilliant idea - I too have an overgrown veg patch, it never occurred to me that they might do some of the work! I do hope the netting comes before the weekend ... :pray:

Thank you, Omlet! :clap: Netting delivered today, even though I forgot to put extra roosting bars on the order and had to ring up and amend it on Wednesday morning! What a brilliant service, and I can't wait to get out in the garden now.

Maybe I'll just pen the ladies into the overgrown bit, sit back and watch them clear it ... I guess they won't prune the roses as well, will they? :)