buffie

Ok got my fencing

Just been putting the fencing up in my dressing gown :oops::oops::lol::lol: I know what the neighbours will think...she's finally gone mad! :lol:

Anyway, Tinker bell has got tangled in it and Willow has tried to get through it , goot stuck in it, because harrie and Charlie are giving her a hard time :roll: So far so good :lol:

I can now grass seed and tidy the borders, have flowers :D I hope they'll get used to it soon, and Harrie and Charlie will stop beating Wills up :?

off to get breakie :D

BBx

Just been putting the fencing up in my dressing gown :oops::oops::lol::lol: I know what the neighbours will think...she's finally gone mad! :lol: Anyway, Tinker bell has got tangled in it and Willow has tried to get through it , goot stuck in it, because harrie and Charlie are giving her a hard time :roll: So far so good :lol:

I can now grass seed and tidy the borders, have flowers :D I hope they'll get used to it soon, and Harrie and Charlie will stop beating Wills up :?

off to get breakie :D

BBx

finally gone mad :?

Ok Mel, gone insane after being mad as a hatter, you're right :roll::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just found them all on the deck :roll: The net post had fallen down, now all of them are behind the net again, I've not got much done....it's Omlet's fault. I ordered the net yesterday am and it arrived today :shock::P:P Bless them at Omlet HQ!

BBx :D

Clare the bantams won't get through it I don't think, they might get stuck in the hole though :shock: I think they will keep away from it once they get used to it. I did try all manner of wire and it was such a mess and pain to put up. The omlet netting is really good, wish I'd done this before. :roll:

BBx

thanks for this - I am just debating whether to order some Omlet netting. I was hesitating because it seems expensive, but you've convinced me! My lawn has some bald patches, nothing to do with hens, it was like this when I moved in, but I can't see grass seed lasting long once I let them out!

It's ordered! Apart from protecting the garden, my fence came down at the end of January and the fencing company can't fix it till mid-March :o

The only way I'm going to be able to let my ladies out to free-range, which I'm dying to do, is if I can use this to block the big gap. I'm only in week two of chicken-ownership, and so far they've stayed in the run - I am so keen to let them out this weekend while I'm around! Great to hear it recommended by other forum users.

Opera lover are you Olly??

Er - not really :oops: I've had a friend staying with me for a few months after her house purchase fell through, and the Eglu was a very generous thank-you present from her! I thought the least I could do was let her name the hens, she's very well-educated so I thought she'd come up with something appropriate. :roll:

Perhaps I should add their everyday names, Hilda and Siggy!

thanks for this - I am just debating whether to order some Omlet netting. I was hesitating because it seems expensive, but you've convinced me!

Me too :D

Our 2 veggie patches are redundant at the moment,apart from weeds,& we reckon that if we pen the girls into the patch for a few days then they will do a great job of eating the weeds & turning the ground over ready for planting.

They will fertilize the ground too of course :wink:

Is it high enough to discourage them from trying to do a flying ascape or do you think I should clip their wings first, as they have never been out of their pen before?

It is about 4 ft high but both of my girls can fly over it - even though they have had their wings clipped. They don't do it all the time, but from time to time I hear a lot of shouting from whoever has been left behind and have to go out and pull the escapee out from under the beech hedge (completely unsafe as lots of dogs go along the path on the other side on their way to the park) and put her back where she should be.

I think they can only do it if there is a bit of a run up and a good landing space - however I tried putting some plastic garden chairs at the point where Dozy Josie flies over but it has not deterred her. aaah, maybe I should put them on her side of the fence.

Goes off to rearrange the furniture......