jill the potter Posted May 1, 2010 Share Posted May 1, 2010 As we have spent most of the day in the garden moving stuff around to get ready for the WIR (which should be coming on Tuesday )we've had plenty of time to watch the chooks, particularly as Korma has not been well, it was good to check whether she was eating and drinking. Anyway, OH was turning over the veg patch and throwing the occasional spade load of soil full of worms over the fence to where the girls are. Tikka was straight on it gobbling up everything in sight whereas Korma just sort of pecked at the soil. We then a strange thing happened Korma started to peck at Tikka's beak, not aggressively, but almost like a chick would to its mother to get them to feed it!!! This went on for most of the afternoon, every time Tikka ate the worms Korma kept pecking at her beak. Tikka didn't seem to mind - in fact she looked confused, but strangely didn't move away. Sorry to ramble on, but I have never seen either of them do this sort of thing before so I was wondering if any of you had. Could it be something to do with the fact that Korma has been unwell and off her food (which incidentally seems to have improved today and she has eaten some pellets) or do you think she was scolding Tikka for eating all the worms so greedily? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jellykelly Posted May 1, 2010 Share Posted May 1, 2010 My lot do this - I thought they were cleaning each others beaks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 1, 2010 Share Posted May 1, 2010 I think it has something to do with bonding, or trying to peck food from her beak? Mine do it every so often. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted May 1, 2010 Share Posted May 1, 2010 My little Gwennie does this to Blodwyn who is top chook. Maybe she is pretending that Blodwyn is her mummy chicken or something. It's very cute. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennydavies Posted May 1, 2010 Share Posted May 1, 2010 Ours do it all the time to each other, more so when I have given them something particularly tasty. I think they just like to get as much of tasty things as they can. I wonder if Charlie will share his ice-cream Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jill the potter Posted May 2, 2010 Author Share Posted May 2, 2010 Mine have never done it before - that I know of - and just thought it was strange as it coincided with Korma not eating properly! I think it looks cute but I'm sure If I was Tikka I'd get hacked off with it as she does it for about 15mins at a stretch! Funny things these chickens eh? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
txswanie Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 Funnily enough, this happened last night for the first time. It kind of freaked me out a little, I thought it might be the start of a bullying incident but it was actually quite gentle. They were eating pasta at the time and I thought that it was a sort of mind your manners young chicken sort of thing.(Marion is quite greedy and grabby with snacks) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...