The_smeeeths

Where to get chickens?

Hi does anyone know where I can get chickens from, I know I can get them from Omlet but am trying to save myself on the postage! (now I sound tight?) :oops: Cheers Trig

if you get a practical poultry mag there are loads of suppliers in the back pages, and it makes for an interesting car journey!!

Nottingham's not that far from me. I go to The One Stop Chicken Shop at Belton, near Grantham and they're very good. It's worth phoning them if you do plan to visit to see what stock they have in though. They're very helpful indeed.

Julie and Michael Coney

One Stop Poultry Shop

Belton Grange

Belton

Grantham

Lincolnshire

01476 566057

Open Wednesday to Saturday

It might also be worth e-mailing barbara@omlet.co.uk to see if she's got anyone nearer on her breeders list.

Have you considered rescued chickens.......... ex batts?

That said I've not checked out if there's a co-ordinator near you, and of course you have to wait until the next rescue day until you can collect them, so it's not convenient for all. But they're lovely, friendly, placid hens and it's wonderful watching them recover and settle in. They do lay lots of eggs too, but after a year of non stop laying they do slow down in terms of egg production, so if reliable layers are important for you ex-batts probably isn't the best way to go.

Always worth considering though :wink:

Hi

I too would suggest Rescue hens, we are in Lincoln and our co-ordinator is just a few miles the other side of Lincoln, so no more than an hour and a half away from Nottingham?? The hens are friendly and real characters, mine lay so many eggs that I have just given away 3 dozen in the playground this morning! ( I have 7 girls !)

Let me know if you would like the guys number or any more info??

Angela

Found out this morning that my hubbie (the one who dosen't like animals of any kind!!) has already ordered 2 girls from omlet and an extension for the run!! :lol: I am quite excited now!! He said he felt broody and didn't like not having them in the garden. Just waiting for a call from Omlet to see when they are going to be delivered! CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :clap: I have also been out this morning and bought 2 hamsters for the kids they are going to be soooooo excited with all the new animals this week! Thanks everyone for all the chat I haven't been on the forum for about a year and I had forgotten how nice it is to have the conversations with everyone. Will keep you updated on when the new girls Dior and Prada (have been thinking of names all morning!) :oops: are arriving. x