cloud

thinking about chickens again, but fretting

We've now moved in to our new home. Got the cats settled in and the garden in to shape. And we have now started to think about chickens again. But our biggest stumbling block is all about how long they can, or cannot, be left alone. We don't yet know enough people in the village to ask when we want to go on holiday, and now we're worried about leaving then all day when we are both at work. And what happens if day trip ends up being an overnight start...

How long is it safe to leave chickens to look after themselves. If we planned, would they be okay for the 36 hours or is that a bit too long? And are foxes going to more of a problem - one has been reported in the village.

I've only had my chickens for a couple of weeks but to be honest I am glad I was around for those first weeks whilst they settled in because it enabled me to keep an eye on them in case they became ill. There have been a few people on the forum, including myself, who have had a chicken fall ill within a week or so of arriving and quick action may be necessary to get them to a vet. When they are settled into a routine then I would feel comfortable to leave them overnight provided there is enough feed and water stations to supply the chickens for two days and a contact in case you get delayed. A lot of people have to go to work and this shouldn't be an obstacle to keeping chickens but it will mean that you won't see much of them during the winter short days and in view of the really cold winter we've had, you will need some way of keeping their water from freezing and perhaps install lighting so you can see what you are doing when refilling feeders, cleaning the poop tray etc when it's dark.

Wow, if they can cope with 2 or 3 days now and then that covers most times when we go away. It will then be just be the time when we have a week aways, which is usually only once, maybe twice a year.

I hadn't thought about freezing water. It feel there ought to be a product for that - like a heater or something, that comes on when the temperature drops too low.

If you are in a village, chances are there will be other chook owners around. Take some eggs round to your nearest neighbours and I expect you'll soon find yourself some chicken minders. :D

We leave ours overnight a few times a year. Every couple of years we have our big 2 or 3 week holiday and our neighbour pops round to feed and collect eggs. A couple of other people have offered as well. We are in a small village but I know of 5 other chook owners here- didn't know any before we had chooks :)

This was one of my concerns when I got chickens, because I sometimes have to go away overnight with work, and am away at weekends quite a bit. They are actually less trouble than the cats, I can happily leave my chooks Friday to Sunday, but the cats need attention during that time! Freezing water in winter can be a problem, and if you search you'll find various suggestions for making/adapting heaters, adding stuff to the water, insulating etc - I'm not sure anyone has come up with the perfect answer yet. However, winter is a long way off and it's quite likely that before then, you'll have found a neighbour or another chook-keeper who'll be able to help you.

Yes, we do need to make a few friends of the neighbours with chickens. Made a good start with the lady opposite - she was the one told us about the fox. It got all her chickens just before we moved in. Although they do seem to roam free and one or the other is often being brought back under an arm from up the road, so I'm not too surprised.