Chucky Mama

Stainless Steel Mesh For Hive Floors

I am not a bee keeper so please don't blind me with science :) My elderly music teacher who has kept bees for decades has asked me to research cheap stainless steel mesh to put on the floors of his hives - he doesn't do 'tinternet and his previous supply has dried up. I have googled it but it seems to be a bit of a minefield and I don't really know where to start. Does anyone have any tips as to where I can get some? He wants the squares to be approx 2mm.

I'm no expert either ... but I know you can buy a mesh floor from Thornes, and as I recall mine came in separate parts, i.e. the mesh and the floor and I had to nail the floor together and then fix the mesh to it. With drawing pins :roll: - I discovered halfway through last year that I'd failed to put one of the drawing pins in firmly enough, and the bees were happily exiting through the rear of the hive floor instead of the entrance!

Take a look here - scroll down for the picture of mesh with a 20p piece on it, and you can order it by the square foot I think.

Never dealt with them but JTwirecloths of, I think, Rugby or nearby are reasonable. Cheap is subjective. Buy right, buy once, is how I work.

Regards, RAB