Bexibex

Get my BHWT exbats Sunday in Nottingham, why am I nervous?

Hi everyone

I have never kept chickens before and on Sunday I am getting four from BHWT. I have my Eglu classic all set up and ready to go and the extended run built. All the essential bits and pieces like exbat crumbs and purple spray, redmite powder etc. and they are already registered with my vets. I have been so excited, it is all I can talk about but now I am starting to feel nervous! Is this normal? I have turned into a worrier! Will my cats try to eat them, will they be scared of each other, will the dog try to eat them, what if they make lots of noise and the neighbours complain and make me get rid of them, what if they become poorly and I don't know what to do, what if they hate me and are scared of me, what about foxes and rats....................................... HELP! Am I going crazy? Did anyone else get nervous before picking up their girls? I am still so excited but I just really want them to be happy after all they have been through. Is anyone else picking up ex-bats on Sunday?

(green eglu)

Hi,

Well we are in the same situation as you, except we picked up our 6 ex-batts on Saturday :) It was all fairly smooth except that the volunteers had got delayed at the farm where they pick-up from, so were still unloading the travel crates of chickens when we arrived! But once that was done our pick up was easy and quick. It was very emotional seeing all the poor hens, in varying amounts of plumage, in the barn waiting to go to there retirement homes. It made me feel again that it is a very good thing to be doing.

Its totally understandable that you are nervous about it if you have never had chickens before, the only experience we have is looking after our neighbour's 15 chickens when they are on holiday, but that's not the same as being totally responsible!! They are a bit different to cats and dogs, but much easier than having to house train a new puppy :D

I am still learning the ropes, and have my concerns over what to do when, like whether I should encourage them out of the house during the day or not. Or whether I should help them to bed at night, or just hope that they get on with it themselves!

PS - We got 3 eggs on their first morning with us which was so exciting : )

I had the exact same worries when I got my hens and honestly, after two weeks you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

My cats and hens live harmoniously together; if anything the hens chase the cats, not the other way round. Keep hens and dog separated or at least under supervision til you can see how that relationship would work, but bear in mind even the sweetest dog is still a dog and could attack. The only noise my hens make is if I am up late to let them out. They're not mega-loud, just a bit clucky!

Hope it is all going well for you!

Sophie

I worried like crazy when we got our 4 ex batts just over a week ago. When my other half came home with them I just sat there and thought 'omg what have I taken on?' as suddenly it all seemed pretty daunting. I wouldn't say I still don't get the odd day when I feel out of my depth as I've had a few hiccups. One hen has a limp and another managed to rip one of her claws off and we didn't know how to deal with the blood, but in general I think we have learned quite a lot and are coping well.

Our hens now have all new downy bits on their previously bald bums and even pin feathers coming through on their necks and body. It's amazing how quickly they seem to settle in. When I let mine free range in the garden I was worried at first as I wasn't sure that I'd be able to get them back into the run, but I just go behind them and gently shoo them towards the run and they just go straight in there.

At night they have already learnt to go to bed on their own as it's getting dark, and we have been getting 2 eggs every day which is a bonus :D

another managed to rip one of her claws off and we didn't know how to deal with the blood

This happens quite a lot with mine and the amount of blood can be a bit scary. I've found the best way to deal with it is a styptic pencil to stop the bleeding then a blob or germoline and they're right as rain.

Hi everyone Hello!

...but now I am starting to feel nervous! Is this normal? 100% normal!

Will my cats try to eat them, doubt it... I have three, 1 loves them, 1 is scared of them and the tomcat ignores them and sulks :lol:

will they be scared of each other possibly but they might be so bewildered they won't notice :shock:

will the dog try to eat them, don't have a dog so don't know

what if they make lots of noise doubt they will, if they do it'll be when they lay an egg and last for about 30 seconds - or if they're spooked by something (squirrels for my girls, they hate them and shout at them) but bet they'll be quiet as mice when you first get them - of my two, one whimpers for attention and the other chirps :)

and the neighbours complain and make me get rid of them, doubt they will, just keep on top of the poo! not literally of course :lol:

what if they become poorly and I don't know what to do ask on here or your vets, you will soon learn!,

what if they hate me and are scared of me hate NO WAY!!! They'll love you! Our rescue girls adore us! Scared...??? Well yes they might be for a few days but give them space, quiet and time, you'll soon forget that. Actually, one of mine was scared, the other jumped up to sit on my lap the day we got her :)

what about foxes and rats....................................... have a secure run to prevent foxes getting them, NEVER let them free-range unsupervised, bring food in at night so you don't attract rats

HELP! Am I going crazy? Did anyone else get nervous before picking up their girls?...Is anyone else picking up ex-bats on Sunday? NO YES AND NO in that order ;)

There's a video on my blog of my ex-barn girls dust-bathing in the sun - I've had them 8 months and they are the funniest, most affectionate girls I have :D You are a very lucky lady! Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by Guest

another managed to rip one of her claws off and we didn't know how to deal with the blood

This happens quite a lot with mine and the amount of blood can be a bit scary. I've found the best way to deal with it is a styptic pencil to stop the bleeding then a blob or germoline and they're right as rain.

Yes we had quite a panic with that. I had to phone someone who has kept hens for years and her advice was to use flour on the wound as it would stop it bleeding and also use a bit of antiseptic. Fortunately that worked and she is now fine, but at the time it was very worrying as I know that hens can start to peck at other hens that have blood on them. I should get one of those styptic pencils but not sure where to get one :?

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your replies - I feel so much better already! :D I will try not to fret too much! I am sure I will be asking lots of questions once they arrive and new things crop up! Will post pics once my girls arrive and once I work out how to do it!

Don't worry, it's all perfectly normal! Like you, I chose ex batts as my first hens and I was so excited right up until the day I was due to collect them. I remember driving to the collection point thinking "I don't want hens any more!"

But as soon as I collected them and saw their frightened, confused little faces, I just wanted to get them home and spoil them to death.

Don't worry, you'll be a fab chicken keeper! :D

I know that I will spoil them rotten - I already spoil my three rescue cats and my rescue dog - it's my OH who gets left out - no spoiling for him! :mrgreen: I have already chosen some names but will have a few days of getting to know their personalities and being able to tell them apart (!) before I decide which name for which hen.

We also started out with 3 ex batts, be aware, its an addictive business! Following 2 run extensions in10months we now have 7hens! Make sure you take loads of pictures when your arrive, we are always getting our old pictures out to remind ourselves just how much they have blossomed, enjoy! Im very jealous!

Rachel

what if they hate me and are scared of me hate NO WAY!!! They'll love you!

Oh I remember thinking what wonderful creatures they are - being so badly treated by mankind and then SOOooo forgiving to let me into their loves and be lovely to me :)

what about foxes and rats....................................... have a secure run to prevent foxes getting them, NEVER let them free-range unsupervised

I've just reread the thread and saw this - sorry, that's a bit heavy of me - some people like to weigh up the freedom of free ranging against the risk of fox attack. I personally do all I can to prevent it as I regularly see foxes during the daytime in my area but others can see the value in giving their girls freedom. I didn't mean it to come across like that, sorry!!! :oops:

Exciting but a little scary is GOOD!!

You will love the chooks as soon as you get them home and within a few weeks wonder what you were worried about I am sure.

Remember that the BHWT have their careline that you can call with queries and many of the Co-ordinators will take calls with follow up queries too. :D

Or just ask on here of course!

I don't think you came over as being heavy, I think those of us new to keeping hens need the advice and help of people who are more experienced :D

Phew, thank you. I just dread the day I slip up (as I sometimes do :oops: ) and have to come on here and say, "I just went indoors to answer the door/phone/put the kettle on and..". Apparently, it happens so quickly :( We're moving soon and will be living opposite a small protected ancient woodland with real life wild animals in ( in the middle of suburbia! :D but fox city??? Don't know yet..) so I'm a bit freaked out at the prospect of not having my girls secure whilst we move house... gulp

I didn't think you came across too hard either - it is good advice. I have my No Foxes Allowed eglu run and as I work full time the girls will be in there during the day. I am only going to allow them to freerange when I can be there to keep my eye on them. I know we have foxes around as one of my cats was quite badly attacked by one but I have never seen one during the day - I will definitely NOT take the risk though!

Hello everyone

Reading this has given me some reassurance - we are first time chicken owners and got our 4 ex-batts on Saturday. (Kira, I think we must have been at the same BHWT collection - Herts/Essex?) It was a bit fraught because of the delays and the very intense heat. In all, it was a very exciting but slightly overwhelming day! We got them home ok but they did seem very bemused and we literally had a sleepless night wondering if they were ok!!

The next day was absolutely wonderful - the girls made enormous progress in just 24 hours and seemed SO happy and were getting more and more relaxed and confident. I am thrilled, but then last night two of them went to bed and the other two stayed up quite late and were behaving quite strangely and seemed sort of agitated. So now I'm all panicky and worried again!!!! Just hope they are ok tonight.I keep telling myself not to worry and that they have only been with us a few days so are still settling into their new lives, but it's easier said than done!

I will try to take all of your advice to Bexibex on board and relax a bit!

Does anyone have any ideas on when they might be a bit more tame? Most of them are a bit nervous of us still. Not sure whether to try feeding them from our hands, or whether to leave them alone!! :?

As people have said though Bexibex, you are doing a great thing. It has been very rewarding for us already, and we LOVE our little girlies :D You won't regret it.

heatherjulia - I'm also somewhat confused as to whether its better to just leave them be and let them get on with pottering about, or to try to get them more used to us. They are already much less nervous of us being near their run, but as soon as I open the door, they get out of the way quite quickly. BTW we picked up near Guildford on Saturday.

Last night was a major break-through as they all took themselves off to bed :clap: . I was busy with my kids who both seemed to be having major emotional crises at the same time, so wasn't watching them, and when I came back downstairs at 9-ish they had all gone in! This was so much better than Sunday night when one was in the doorway blocking the entrance and not letting any of the rest in :)

oh wow, well done for such a successful bedtime!! I'm hoping for that with ours tonight... fingers crossed...! So far two/three seem to go in nice and early but the last one/two stay up for another hour or so till about 10pm! I'm hoping they'll all start going in together.

Sounds like we werent at the same collection after all, but they obviously had the same problems as ours was running later too. The team from BHWT were amazing though, can't praise them enough!