salbo

Two bucks!!!

I got to bucks for my daughter for her birthday and they have been getting on fine, but today i saw them fight for the first time. they are 17 weeks old today. I was told if i got them 'DONE' before they started fighting, they would never fight. is this right? As our vet wont operate until 6 months old! so do you think this is a one off and i should leave them and try and get them DONE as soon as possible or separate them forever????

My immediate thought is you need to find a more rabbit-savvy vet as a matter of urgency...male rabbits can be castrated as soon as their testicles have descended, which for most is around 14-16 weeks of age (it will be obvious when it happens - keep checking between their legs!). The sooner they are done the better in terms of calming them down.

I am afraid you have been given bad advice though...you can never rely on two males getting on, even when both are castrated. It can happen, but it's by no means guaranteed and a lot of partnerships start well but develop into fighting once puberty hits. I would get them neutered asap (yours should be ready by now) and then try them again, but it may be a relationship that's never going to work I'm afraid. If you have the room to house them separately, once their operation sites have healed they could both have a girlfriend introduced (they will get on with a girl, and it's much easier to introduce a girl to a boy than a boy to a girl as girls are more territorial). If you haven't got the room for this then unfortunately you may have to rehome one of them and get a girlfriend for the other. Whatever you do, I would do your best to keep them with a female as buns are very lonely and unhappy when kept as solitary animals.