A chickychickychick-ENN!! Posted July 22, 2010 Share Posted July 22, 2010 Does anyone have any experience of getting new stair banisters? We don't have any at the moment, and need some as we have a baby on the way - don't fancy playing any 'let's see if we can avoid dropping the baby over the edge' games. We will need newell posts, spindles and the handrail bit, and then a bit along a small landing. Does anyone know even vaguely how much it would cost? I'm always wary of tradesmen's quotes without a bit of prior idea of what's fair and what's crazy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted July 22, 2010 Share Posted July 22, 2010 I don't know about getting the whole lot but we replaced the spindles a few years ago and Screwfix were the cheapest at the time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 My dad is putting up a new banister for my brother, so no idea how much a tradesman would cost. The top rail cost about £40-50. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hubby built our stairs, bannisters & railing himself - got the bits from some place that makes them all in oak I think Worth considering if you are going to keep them wood - if you are painting them then you could go for a cheaper option. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Sarah saidHubby built our stairs, bannisters & railing himself - got the bits from some place that makes them all in oak I think Do you know where he got them from ? I have the ugliest stair case imaginable and am hoping to get that sneaked onto the end of the list of jobs for OH this summer/autumn (after my WIR of course ) we've been replacing doors and skirting in oak but no idea where to go for staircase bits Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Richard Burbidge are a big name in stair rails, they are fairly expensive though but will give you a guide to top end DIY prices. I'm sure their website will have info for suppliers etc. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Sarah saidHubby built our stairs, bannisters & railing himself - got the bits from some place that makes them all in oak I think Do you know where he got them from ? I have the ugliest stair case imaginable and am hoping to get that sneaked onto the end of the list of jobs for OH this summer/autumn (after my WIR of course ) we've been replacing doors and skirting in oak but no idea where to go for staircase bits Not sure - I will ask him later. I think it was someone local though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...