Bubbsbuddy Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 Hello, new to this forum and hoping some of you can help me out. We have had our eglu and 2 chickens for nearly 6 years and sadly this week our chicken, Kiev died suddenly, we are unsure why, but her friend Nugget is now alone and looking very sad, she is eating and drinking but is very quiet. We want to get her new friends but due to her age and the fact she's only ever been with Kiev I don't really know where to start. We have been offered some ex batts from a release next weekend and the couple having the release at their home have offered to keep some back for us until we can sort larger accomodation, we plan (and have been for a while) to build a larger run 12ft x 5ft x6ft with a house inside. How many girls would happily live in an enclosure this size, they can free range too but only if we're at home due to foxes! My main concern however is Nugget, would she be accepted or is she better off a lone chicken? Please help, I have bought her some extra toys and perches but I know that's no substitute for her pal. Thanks Angela. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 Much better for her to have some friends. A run that size should house four or five hens ok, and the Eglu will sleep up to five although that's not the official figure. Ideally you should keep the ex-batts separate for a week or two in case of any disease, there will be some issues introducing one hen to many, but they are surmountable and it's definitely better for Nugget to have some feathery companions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 I agree with Olly. Inevitably there will be a bit of argy bargy, but she will be better off with friends. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hippy chick Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 I have been having the same problem. I never understood how emotional hens could be. My Gwen was really depressed after her two friends died last week. I have been and got her a new friend and she has perked up no end. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bubbsbuddy Posted July 26, 2010 Author Share Posted July 26, 2010 So it seems I should get her some friends, I notice you went for a young girlie Hippy Chick, do you think that works best? Sorry to hear you lost two so close together that must have been awful. Yesterday I was really upset because Nugget came into the kitchen to nick some of the dogs water, she likes to let them know who's boss, and she suddenly seemed to notice her reflection in a glass door,she approached and knocked her beak on the door looking for the 'other chicken', it was so sad! Hubbie thinks I'm mad but I'm sure she thought it was Kiev. Anyway thanks for the help, the next thing is what's best odd or even numbers of chickens? I've been told odd no's can result in one chicken being left out, is this true? Any opinions appreciated, also should I take on all ex batts or maybe one POL and the rest ex batts? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hippy chick Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 My Gwen is an ex-bat but she has always been so good natured and doesn't cope with the new ex-bats being so agressive. And she is only about 3 years old. Someone recommended getting a younger more docile hen so that she could be top chuck and gain more confidence. I tried introducing her with the two quiet ones out of my other flock. But they were still picking on her. I think it was just because she was so down in the dumps and definitely missing her other friends. The group of ex-bats that I got last month are very aggressive, I guess its because they have had to fight for everything all their lives. She has definitely picked up again and doesn't seem so lonely, she is even starting to mix better with the other flock. I do love to rescue ex-bats because its so rewarding seeing them develop into proper hens but it takes time to get them back to full health and lots of TLC. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bubbsbuddy Posted July 26, 2010 Author Share Posted July 26, 2010 Well I decided today to go back to the place I bought the girls from to ask if they had any ideas, it's really big now when I got the girls it was more of a farm selling a few chucks now they sell loads of chickens all different breeds and also housing and feed etc. The man working there recommended a couple of POLS and to let Nugget meet them across a barrier at first,then to introduce them to her at dusk. I asked about quarantine but he assured me all the hens are vaccinated and checked daily for beasties so it would be ok to put them in with my old girl if they show no signs of aggression. I'm afraid I took his advice and we chose a bluebell grey chicken now christened Dierdre and a black pepperpot called Mavis. They are very vocal and fast compared to Nuggs who can be bribed to do anything with a handful of fresh mealworms, but they have learned the delights of mealworms very quickly. We decided to introduce them on neutral territory ie the kitchen floor and they all pecked around happily we then let Nugget out into the garden thinking they might follow but they had to be guided out, once out though they loved it, pecking about in the grass and shrubs, I've now put all 3 in the run and so far it's been ok they are all just scratching about, and Dierdre has investigated the dirt bath and eaten some corn, hopefully they'll work out the glug too. Anyway thanks for the advice I hope this works out, we now just have to build the big run and source a second eglu (can't afford a new one), so that we can take a couple of ex batts too, I hope we get Gwens, hopefully chicken release man will sort me some good girls, but I think they'll hate me cause his flock have about 1/2 acre of green fields to rome in, my little empire is a suburban 90ft garden, still we'll love them. Will keep you posted. Thanks again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 Aww I sorry to read about Kiev, she led a long and happy life but poor Nugget I am another who found that rescue girls can be aggressive - as a defence mechanism, poor things. When we rescued ours, the BHWT recommended that we only got two (they usually recommend three) to go with our other two, as any more that that and the rescue girls would outnumber and bully our original two Hippy Chick's idea of getting a younger POL girl is a brilliant one - or maybe even two, I'm sure Nugget could handle them (and being realistic, as she's 6 years old (!), you won't risk being back to square 1 with a young POL on her own...). But once they make a happy flock, then you can get some ex-bats I hope it all works out for you ((HUGS)) ETA, just read your post - great minds and all that! A big Omlet welcome to your two new girlies Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bubbsbuddy Posted August 3, 2010 Author Share Posted August 3, 2010 Just to say thanks to all for the advice, and to update you on the crew. Nugget has taken the lead over the others which is good, she seems younger,her limp is less pronounced I'm sure she is trying to look younger. Mavis is very chatty, I think she's a Black Rock not a miss pepperpot,she's all black with a green sheen to her feathers, Dierdre is now called Betty my son couldn't get used to the name! She is the biggest hen but such a coward, she's doing well though she's met our dogs and wasn't too freaked, they are quite respectful though cause Nugget and Kiev taught them well a few swift pecks works wonders! Today I've been offered 3 more girls and a coop via a customer at our shop, we are getting a name for taking unwanted pets, since owning the shop we've adopted 1 dog, 2 guineas,and 2 rabbits plus my dad has taken a dog too, if the details are ok we might re home these girlies and leave the ex batts in their lovely green fields! Does anyone know where I can get a walk in run made in Essex,we're in Leigh on sea, it needs to be very sturdy and fox proof cause we have local foxes who come to visit nightly. Thanks Angela. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted August 3, 2010 Share Posted August 3, 2010 Have a look on the eglu, cubes and runs section, then look at the first sticky. You'll find lots of ideas and names for WIR there. Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...