Guest Dilly

Eglu Cube

I am thinking of getting an Eglu Cube - because it will help my bad back!

Do you think that with only 3 bantams in it will be too big - inasmuchas they might be too cold in the winter? An Eglu seems so snug.

And do you think that bantams will use the off the floor ladder?

Does anyone have an Eglu cube yet that can advise me?

Thinking about that!

If they will be ok in it - then I think I will sell my two eglus and use the money to buy an eglu cube - but don't tell OH.

Anyone tried putting one together yet? I will not be having the run.

Thinking about that!

If they will be ok in it - then I think I will sell my two eglus and use the money to buy an eglu cube - but don't tell OH.

Anyone tried putting one together yet? I will not be having the run.

Yes, you can have it without the run as I spoke to James about it last week. He didn't get as far as working out a price for me as i decided that my set up works perfectly just the way it is so (sadly) I am not going for the cube option.

Instead I ordered a re-conditioned PURPLE eglu to house my Poland's which I have on order. it arrived today and looks fab. i can't wait until my chicks are ready!

Ones without runs are advertised in the shop - have been since launch day! Then there are two more options depending on run sizes.

My only concern is what it would be like in winter. At the moment they have just the first section of run attached to the Eglu as they have a big pen with lots of shelter and 'playthings' and they get to freerange most of the day. The little bit of shelter from the run enables them to come straight out of the eglu and eat their food whatever the weather.

(It is a big pen so I have netting over the top to keep out wild birds but no plastic roofing as I like the rain on the pen as have things growing in there they like, plus damp soil under the aubiose etc is good for worms and insects and scratching about it :wink:

So am just having a 'think' before I rush in with the credit card.

Your three bantams should be absolutely fine in winter in the cube if you close the door. I've had five in a big ark (Forsham 904 - suitable for 12/15 chickens allegedly :shock: ) over winter and they were snug as bantams in rugs!! And what a great excuse to add another to your flock every year to keep the numbers up - Pekins are so friendly after all :) .