BiBiBi

RIP Kooka

:cry::cry::cry:

I got back from holiday on Sunday night and my partner told me that the others were all bullying Kooka and she had taken to hiding in the coop. Yesterday afternoon she was hiding in the coop again so I took her out and let her roam the garden on her own for a bit. I gave her some sweet corn, but unusually for her she only ate a few kernels. Then I noticed her bottom looked very dirty and thought she might be poorly. This morning she was sitting in the nesting box at about 9 am - seemed fine. I went out, came back about 11am and she was dead :cry::cry::cry: Rigamortis already set in and I buried her.

I've just washed out and disinfected the eglu - is there anything else I should do? - I don't want my other 4 to get ill!!!

My partner says she has always been pecked a lot by the others and that maybe she was pecked to death! Is that possible? I thought a bit of pecking was normal and I haven't seen her being pecked that much. But when I was away my partner says she was being pecked so hard by Speckles that she was cowering with her head to the ground and lay right down as if she was "playing dead". He said Speckles attacked her quite violently for no reason. Do they attack the poorly ones? (When Speckles, the boss, had a poorly eye she was being pecked by the others) Or was Kooka pecked so much it made her poorly? I am concerned for the remaining foursome...what if what killed her was an infection? How can I protect them?

Thank you Tricia. I already cleaned and disinfected the coop. I do give it a thorough wash and disinfect it every week. When you say keep an eye on the others, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for in their faeces, or anything else? My sister said she thought there was some diarrohea outside in their enclosure - it was a thick chocolate brown liquid :vom: - is that diarrohea? They do so many different types of pooh! :vom::?

When flora was ill last week she started off with runny chocolate brown poos. She had coccodiosis but the other hen with her was fine. I got antibiotic and anti cocci tablets for her from the vet and [touchwood she is much better] I'd keep any eye on the others and if needs be pop one of them along to the vet.