Leicester_H

Handling Chickens

Hi

Thanks for all the advice.

I think my problem was that I was using my spare hand (released by holding one side of chicken and hence that wing against my body) to stroke the chicken rather than constraining the legs.

I really need a 3rd hand !!!

'silly chooky noises' are obligatory though !!

H

I hold them with my right hand but hold them against my body so I can slide the hand right underneath them. That leaves my left hand free for stroking.

I'm probably doing it complately wrong but it seems to work for me

Handle :shock: Explain this concept to me please :lol:

A couple of days ago Wilma got out of the run when I was feeding them and she wouldn't let me pick her up, I couldn't leave the door open as Betty was sqwaking which quite clearly meant if she can go out there then I want to as well :roll:

I spent about 20 minutes chasing her round the garden in my dressing gown please god I hope none of the neighbours saw me :lol:

I caught her eventually and chucked her back in and yes I was late for work :evil:

I spent about 20 minutes chasing her round the garden in my dressing gown please god I hope none of the neighbours saw me :lol:

Does bribery not work in this situation ?? - I only have to pick up a red bowl (which they suspect contains a treat such as sweetcorn) for them to be at my feet - I lure them back into the run like this most times

H

our plod sits on my shoulder when we go round the garden. she stands up when she wants to see over the fence

So does Betty, in fact she got muddy footprints all over the back of my dressing gown this morning.

You MUST post some Photos please

H

Sorry, it's in the wash now. Dressing gown that is :roll: I'll get a picture of Betty next time she does it!

They are both white leghorns renowned for several things they are egg laying machines and are extremely flighty :lol:

They were free at the time so what could I do :roll:

I didn't have time to organise treats and one of the cats was eyeing her up so I didn't want to leave her alone :shock: