CrazyDaizy

4 year old bunny suddenly aggressive

Hia Folks

Our Dwarf lop earred male bunny (aged 4-5) seems to have suddenly become aggressive.

We have (2) chickens that he's generally always got on with in the past. At times he has seemed to want to play with them and they have flown up somewhere high to avoid him.

Bunny has always been known to "pounce" on his food when placing it in his hutch, so we do it quick to avoid a nip.

For most of the time bunny and the chooks potter around the garden (all free range during the day) with no problems, but every so often a little scuffle takes place, usually between bunny + one of the chickens. Fur + feathers fly, then they are fine again.

When I put bunny away at night, he has a tendency to bite my ankles as he can obviously smell his food that I am about to place in his hutch.

My daughter thinks he should have his "bits" removed at the vets as this could be making him aggressive. But he's been fine til this year. I'm reluctant to have this done at his age. Not to mention the expense!

What can I do to make him a bit less aggressive?

Yes, he's on his own, apart from the chickens. He's never had another bunny friend.

He's not necessarily handled as it's rare we pick him up, sometimes we talk to him + stroke him, but he pretty much get on with it by himself out there.

Maybe he needs more attention?

The pain thing is an interesting thought.... will look into it.

Thanx

Whenever I put him back in his hutch, usually around tea-time (earlier in winter, later in summer) I give him some "luxury" bunny food then. Only a small bowl full. Often if he has to go away during the day (if we are out) we give him a small bowl full then. Yesterday he never had any of his own food, just some of our raw veggies (carrots/brocolli etc which he often has)

Most of the time he eats grass, leaves from the garden, and sometimes layers pellets left lying around from the chickens (tho not many!)

The vet talked about his teeth not so long ago, and to keep an eye on them. So I'm wondering if they are giving him problems and preventing him eating as much as he would like (though he always appears to wolf everything down)

Worth checking,

Also most rabbit feed has far to much protein in for bunnies which can lead to behavoir issuses

(like kids on E numbers) It might be worth trying him on a veg/grass and hay diet only ( plenty of hay) for four weeks

to see if this helps his grumpy behavoir.

Hope this helps

x

Thanx, I will try that and see :-)

Keep us posted with the teeth check and diet,

Might be worth trying to stop him eating the chickens pellets aswell, protein overload. :lol:

We always put the chicken food up high so the chooks can fly up to it (hehe, usually on top of the rabbit hutch :lol: ) but first thing in a morning I sprinkle some on the ground so the chooks can eat some then........... think I will stop doing that, cos guess who eats it???? :doh: