clarefm Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I have a mixed flock of 5 hens - 2 x 32 week hybrids (Warrens), a Barnvelder (26 weeks), a Maran and Cream Legbar (both around 20 weeks). One hybrid has been happily laying since the day after she arrived (11 weeks ago) and the other started after 3 weeks. She has now stopped, over a week ago. The Barnevelder still hasn't laid anything, although I think the other two are still too young. We are all a bit disappointed, particularly as my sister's pair of hybrids from the same breeder have reliably laid one very large egg each a day for over 6 months! They are all fed organic layers pellets only, they have the run of a very large garden and all appear happy and healthy. The non-laying hybrid is the cheekiest of the lot, often coming into the house if we leave the door open. I've noticed her comb is less red than the other hybrid's. Any ideas why she's stopped laying and the Barnevelder (I was told a good winter layer for a pure breed) hasn't started yet? I'm having to buy eggs for baking - a bit embarrassing when my butcher knows I've got the girls! What are the signs they need worming - I've heard that can stop them laying? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 9, 2010 Share Posted October 9, 2010 What are the signs they need worming - I've heard that can stop them laying? Going off lay and pale in the face, and in the case of a severe infestation, a hunched attitude, greenish poos and weight loss. I'd worm them all with Flubenvet if they were mine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted October 9, 2010 Author Share Posted October 9, 2010 Thanks Egluntyne, They're not showing any of the other symptoms, but it can't hurt to worm them now - at least then I will know when they were last done and when to repeat. Will get some Flubenvet tomorrow! Here's hoping..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 9, 2010 Share Posted October 9, 2010 I don't know why your two hybrids are so erratic as they're usually pretty reliable layers. The stress of moving to a new home may have knocked them off lay for a few days or a week, but I'd certainly have expected them to start again by now. If they're free ranging in the garden, could they be laying somewhere secretly? I have a RIR who insists on laying anywhere but the nest box. I have to spy on her to find her latest hiding place, then leave an egg in there (marked so I know which one it is) so she doesn't know she's been discovered! I'd fully expect your Barnie, Marans and Cream Legbar to surprise you in the next month or so as they're the right age to supply you with some winter eggs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted October 11, 2010 Author Share Posted October 11, 2010 Hi Jools, It really is very frustrating! I'm home a lot so will have to do some detective work, but I can't say that I've noticed her disappear off on her own at all, other than when she used to go into the house to lay. I have heard that if a fox is hanging around it can upset them, but I've seen no signs of one trying to dig in at night - we built a 6ft high fence around their pen, with an extra 12 inches into the ground, as we are semi-rural here. The house itself is shut up at nightfall too. They have the run of the whole garden by day though. I guess I just have to be patient. I started the course of worming yesterday, so I'll let you all know if it appears to make a difference! Thanks for the support! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted October 12, 2010 Share Posted October 12, 2010 Have you double checked around the garden for a 'hen-made' nesting box? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted October 18, 2010 Author Share Posted October 18, 2010 The girls completed their course of worm treatment on Friday. However I have noticed there are a lot more feathers in the henhouse and on the ground all of a sudden. It looks like the Hybrids and the Maran are moulting - not so much that they look particularly tatty, just more feathers on the ground. The more reliable Hybrid hasn't laid for four days either. I am surprised as I'd read that hens don't go through a proper moult in their first year. The Hybrids are now 34 weeks, the Barnevelder is 28 weeks and the Maran and Cream Legbar are about 21-22 weeks. I've searched the garden for a secret nest but no joy, so have kept them confined to their pen for the last 3 days and no eggs from anyone! Does anyone have any idea how long a moult like this might last and affect egg laying? So far none of the feathers lying around look like they've come from the Barnevelder or CLB. We've had a lot of sunny and warm autumn days around here, so even with the shorter days (which are really noticeable now) I would have hoped for the odd egg or two from the pure breeds. My family have started to refer to the girls as The Freeloaders! (I think they feel sorry for me really - all the effort and expense of building the pen, plus the cost of the henhouse and birds themselves.) When I die I'd like to come back as one of my hens, they have it so good! I keep telling myself that they will all lay one day! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 A moult can often affect laying - they concentrate their energies on growing new feathers. Try giving them a protein boost such as mealworms. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted October 20, 2010 Author Share Posted October 20, 2010 Thanks Egluntyne, I am just surprised that they are moulting and gone off lay in their first year, even before starting to lay in the case of the Maran. Is that normal? My book on keeping chickens says they don't do this in the first year. There's a lot to learn with these birds, that's for sure! I'll get some meal worms today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 23, 2010 Share Posted October 23, 2010 You're right, they shouldn't be moulting at that age. Certainly the hybrids should be laying right through to late summer / autumn next year and I'd expect the others to do the same. How certain are you of their ages? Is it possible that the hybrids are a year older than you think? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 24, 2010 Share Posted October 24, 2010 Maybe the pure breeds are a little younger than you thought and still going through their changes of feathers? If the pure breeds are the age you think then as Jools says it wont be long before you'll start getting eggs Some pullets will have a mini moult in their first year so its not unheard of Another possibility is that the hybrid is laying soft eggs and these are being eaten (check the nest box bedding for any mess) cod liver oil mixed in with the pellets will aid calcium absorbsion if this is the case One last possibility that would cover the lack of eggs and the feathers is that they are being frightened by something Dont lose heart - hens (like anything else that lives and breathes) all mature at different rates but they all get there in the end! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted October 25, 2010 Author Share Posted October 25, 2010 Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm pretty certain that the Hybrids were 21 weeks when I got them in July, along with the then 15 week old Barnie. The breeder seemed very organised and everywhere was spotless with each batch/hatch of eggs in their own pen, not mixing ages or breeds. My sister got her two egg machines there earlier in the year too. My Cream Legbar still seems immature, fairly small and skittish and a very small pink, not red comb so I think she may be younger than thought. The Maran is a big girl and may be older than I was told. The girl I got them from was hen mad, but her flocks were a bit mixed up age-wise and she wasn't certain of their ages, as some had been bought in as pre-POL birds. She has lost some feathers - I can see them in the henhouse, but still looks as well-feathered as ever. The Barnie is immaculate - that double laced feathering is really beautiful and there is none of it lying around anywhere. I'm certain neither of the hybrids is laying anything. I used to see that one or other was gone for 30-40 minutes each morning, so always knew who was laying and when. There is no sign of shell-less egg mess in the nest boxes and I have combed the garden in case someone has found a new spot. One hybrid is quite bald on the back of her neck, has lost all but one of her tail feathers and is looking very scruffy and smaller than usual - she may have lost a bit of weight or perhaps its just that she has fewer feathers to fluff. I have no doubt that the moult is to blame in her case. She is certainly eating well and still top of the pecking order, along with the other hybrid. That one may have lost one or two feathers, but looks pretty much as good as ever. Is it normal to stop laying even before the moult has appeared to kick in? I don't know why this one stopped laying. I think I just have to be patient. I've tried giving them a liquid tonic in their water, but they don't seem to drink it as fast as normal water so I suspect they don't like it! I would try a powder supplement, but I'm not sure how to mix it with the pellets. Again thanks for the support - its good to know I'm not the only one whose hens won't lay! I had to buy another box of eggs today - the shame of it! I'll keep you all posted as to what happens..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 25, 2010 Share Posted October 25, 2010 Please do! It's certainly a bit of mystery. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted November 1, 2010 Author Share Posted November 1, 2010 To update you, the first Hybrid to stop laying towards end of September, Dorrie, is now looking terrrible, as if she had a fight with a lawnmower. Her neck feathers are growing back now, but she has no tail and looks really small! The second, Rita, who stopped laying around 14 October, is starting to look quite patchy and I've seen several feathers just drop off her. Does anyone have any idea how long these moults, or mini-moults since they are still in their first year, go on for? Regarding the others, I don't think the Maran is moulting. Despite being the biggest of the flock she gets picked on a lot and I think the feathers in the henhouse are a result of that. Also, since none of my 5 hens were laying I did the only decent thing and went out and bought two more on Saturday! (Well, since they're not laying anyway, a bit of disruption in the flock won't affect production!) I got a Lavender Araucana and a stunning Vorwerk. They have fitted in really well - they're sticking together at the moment but there isn't much ganging up by the others going on. It seems the bigger the flock, the less they feel threatened by the arrival of new girls. Since these two are both under 20 weeks I now have 7 hens not laying! But they're all gorgeous! Any clues as to how long the moults last would be appreciated though, as the Hybrids were supposed to be the solid layers in the group. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted November 3, 2010 Share Posted November 3, 2010 I would hazard a guess that if your hybrids are moulting, then you'll not get any more eggs from them until next year. Obviously I hope they prove me wrong! It's 50/50 on your others though. They shouldn't moult and they should start laying - some may start this side of Christmas, some may wait until next year. Nice choice of newbies too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted November 4, 2010 Share Posted November 4, 2010 Just catching up with this thread. I hope you didn't buy your araucana as a reliable egg layer Mine (Pom pom) started laying last February and layed pretty well continuously until September.................. except when she was broody You don't read about araucana being broody but she only wanted to be a Mummy Her eggs were gorgeous tho' when she bothered to lay them. Hope yours all start behaving themselves soon. Alli xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clarefm Posted November 12, 2010 Author Share Posted November 12, 2010 Hi Alli, Luckily no, I didn't go for the Araucana for lots of eggs. The two hybrids were supposed to be the backbone of egg production around here! I went for the others - Lavender Araucana, Double Laced Barnevelder, Cuckoo Maran, Cream Legbar and stunning buff and black Vorwerk, as each looks so different from the others. The children and I can spot them and tell them apart instantly. Also, we hope to have a lovely selection of different egg colours in the spring - blue, green, dark brown etc. One of the hybrids was actually bought as a birthday present for my brother (men are so hard to buy for) so he could have a weekly supply of eggs. He was thrilled (he's a gardener and very 'green') and is quite philosophical about the non-egg laying situation. The other will hopefully start laying enough for us (me and 3 kids) with the pure breeds supplying some variety and hopefully enough eggs to make regular gifts to other family, friends and neighbours. I think we've just experienced bad timing with the pure breeds reaching the age they should start laying just as the nights were getting longer and the hybrids both moulting together. My sister's two hybrids, from the same breeder, have been laying solidly for about 8 months and haven't moulted yet. However my birds are all young (bar the Maran, whose age is questionnable), so I know they'll come good in the end. The very fact that I bought a coop for three birds, which I filled, then almost immediately upgraded to a hen house for 12, and have bought first two more, then another two, is proof that we love the birds anyway! In fact its turning into an addiction. I watched the Giles and Sue Good Life programme the other day and the pretty Light Sussex hens they had got me wondering how long it will be before I add to the flock again. I really must stop! Looking at this forum at least gives me hope that I am not alone in this sickness! Clare Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...